HOW DO I GET MORE VOLUME FROM SILICON FUZZ FACE?

Started by ultran8, May 06, 2011, 01:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultran8

so ya ive adjusted the 330 ohm resistor up to 1.5k and it just got more saturated. the version i used is the small bear one . http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm please help.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: ultran8 on May 06, 2011, 01:52:30 AM
so ya ive adjusted the 330 ohm resistor up to 1.5k and it just got more saturated. the version i used is the small bear one . http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm please help.

more saturated?  fuzzier?  I increased mine from 330 to 750 and there was a considerable boost in vol, though, I believe I lost a little fuzz.
did you try slowly increasing from 330 instead of jumping straight to 1.5k?
always think outside the box

diydave

If you've adjusted the 330 resistor to 1k5, I would lower the 8k2 resistor to 7k2 or 6k8.
Those two resistors form a voltage divider, just like a volume-potentiometer would do.

By adjusting the two resistors, but keeping the total 'load' the same (8k5 in total), it would be like you've turned the potentiometer more 'open', and thus get more volume.

At least, that's how I solve such an issue. But then again, I'm no expert.

ultran8

i went from 330 to 470 then 1.5 . way more saturated but not more volume i tried adjusting 8.2k but didnt get much action there either . im using 2n2222's . what about goin toa 100k pot instead of 500k thanks for the responses. :)

earthtonesaudio

Lowering the value of the volume pot will lower the total output level, so don't do that.  Try simply swapping each of the two resistors (330 and 8.2k) into the other's location.

Also note that the input impedance of the following device (either your amp or another effect's input) will load the output transistor of the FF, especially at high volume settings. 

Also make sure you have the right values for everything.  If your volume pot is 500 ohms instead of 500k it will really kill the volume.

Anytime I've built a FF I just take the output from the collector, no attenuation; that makes it LOUD.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: ultran8 on May 06, 2011, 10:28:40 AM
i went from 330 to 470 then 1.5 . way more saturated but not more volume i tried adjusting 8.2k but didnt get much action there either . im using 2n2222's . what about goin toa 100k pot instead of 500k thanks for the responses. :)

I've never had a FF where the vol was not effected by raising that resistor. Does everything else sound & work properly?
What's the voltage on Q2 collector?
always think outside the box

JebemMajke

Hi, i have just finished my fuzz face and I've used the same schematics. I got two BC548C's in it and 250k volume pot and it's pretty loud. What i would like to add is more gain. It sounds nice on my bass, really rude ( ;) ), but with guitar it could use some more gain. Here are some mod's from Beavis audio ( I love his web page ) http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FuzzLab/byocfuzzmods.htm. You should try some of these, I know i would when I find my solder wire. Somehow I've misplaced it during the FF assembly ( and try out ).

ultran8

i have a secret my fuzz pot is a 5k . out of 1k . would this affectthe volume tho ill check out my voltages and get back to ya

ultran8

ok so i put a 10k pot in place of 8.2k. i can tune it ine for a nice tone or crank it and i get the volume boost i want but not the tone i want . again it may be my 5k fuzz pot. any other suggestions . maybe im asking too much for a volome boost on it . any other ideas . i also replaced the 330 to 220. seems better 

yeeshkul

The volume in FF is provided by the output voltage divider 330/8.2k. Fuzz Face was originally a clean pre-amp circuit in vintage transistor audio units and it was just modified to provide fuzz. It was modified mainly by changing the output divider, which  provides more fuzz and less volume or less fuzz and more volume. Fuzz Face has a massive potential to be laud (i mean really bloody loud) but it will always be to the prejudice of fuzz and vice versa.

You can always replace the both resistors (330/8k2) by a 10k trimmer  (cold leg on the collector, hot leg on the DC and slider to the output) and you can set the fuzz/volume compromise up to your taste.

Since FF actually needs volume to provide fuzz, there is not much room for "cheating", just for compromise.

ORK

ULTRAN8: use a 1k fuzzpot or wire a 1.2k or 1.5k or 1.8k resistor across the outer lugs of your 5k fuzzpot to make it`s value smaller in terms of DC!

ultran8

thank u guys ill try that tonight let u know wht up.

ultran8

ORK GOOOOODDD CALLL BUDDY . THANKS ALL AGAIN FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS . U CAN CHECK OUT THE COMPLETED BUILD AT MY YOUTUBE SITE !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgKUA0g-aM&feature=channel_video_title