News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

nano clones

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 06, 2011, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

any mods or improvements anyone can suggest?
thanks!! ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

vendettav

whats a nano clone? lol
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

flintstoned

I thought all of ehx's nano series were smt?
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

vendettav

damn that's a nice sounding pedal actually! thanx for the link. is it gonna be hard to DIY anybody??

woah the Freeze pedal video just below this one is awesome! is it DIY-able??
check my music HERE

pinkjimiphoton

i didn't really open it up and look yet, but it just looks to be a couple caps, diodes and one chip inside.
hoping to find a way to give it a little more balls when engaged. i think i could squeeze a small buffer in the box if i had to.

just curious.

it's actually a really nice sounding pedal, closer in tone to an actual clone theory of old than the small clone...it's got that swishy flangey goodness thing happening.

for 25 bux, i was like......................ok.

but i do indeed wanna make it a little louder if possible. or tweeze the heck out of it, even if i have to remount in a larger box!!
;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

vendettav

check my music HERE

pinkjimiphoton

yah, pawn shop prizes rule. almost bought a korg ampworks too for 30, they aren't great, but can be handy sometimes for jammin' and recording.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: vendettav on May 07, 2011, 11:04:55 AM
damn that's a nice sounding pedal actually! thanx for the link. is it gonna be hard to DIY anybody??

Yes it will be hard to DIY, SMD Components throughout and no schematic available, plus by all accounts... it's not that great, it's apparently fairly noisey and also suffers a volume drop, you'd be better off buying the Neoclone or Building a Small Clone, still not an easy build though.

And no the Freeze isn't DIYable, unless you're very good at DSP work.

vendettav

Quote from: Scruffie on May 07, 2011, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: vendettav on May 07, 2011, 11:04:55 AM

Yes it will be hard to DIY, SMD Components throughout and no schematic available, plus by all accounts... it's not that great, it's apparently fairly noisey and also suffers a volume drop, you'd be better off buying the Neoclone or Building a Small Clone, still not an easy build though.

And no the Freeze isn't DIYable, unless you're very good at DSP work.
ah yeah i arleady oudn that out by doing a quick search. too bad :(
check my music HERE

pinkjimiphoton

don't believe everything you read on the net....being analog, and using bbd tech, yes, the pedal is a little noisier than a comparable digital one.
but noise isn't an issue, this actually sounds closer to a clone theory (the real one, not that noisy piece of crap reissue) than a small clone.

i'm contacting eh about it....my only beef is it's a shade below unity gain when engaged, there's a board mounted trimpot at the upper left of the board which adjust the ratio between effect volume and straight thru. i played with it, found it sounds best cranked full blast (big surprise, coming from me, mr. 11 and all..)

my question is, if i remove that trimmer and replace with a larger one, will i get more balls out of it?

or could i even play with it by strapping some big resistor across it, to mess with the taper a little?

what do you think?

for what it is, it's a great sounding little pedal, not any noisier than most fuzzboxes, and a nice flangy chorus sound with a decent modulation.
unlike the reviews i read and watched on it by people that probably think everything should sound like their "awesome zoom pedal".

;P
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 07, 2011, 03:14:19 PM
don't believe everything you read on the net....being analog, and using bbd tech, yes, the pedal is a little noisier than a comparable digital one.
but noise isn't an issue, this actually sounds closer to a clone theory (the real one, not that noisy piece of crap reissue) than a small clone.

i'm contacting eh about it....my only beef is it's a shade below unity gain when engaged, there's a board mounted trimpot at the upper left of the board which adjust the ratio between effect volume and straight thru. i played with it, found it sounds best cranked full blast (big surprise, coming from me, mr. 11 and all..)

my question is, if i remove that trimmer and replace with a larger one, will i get more balls out of it?

or could i even play with it by strapping some big resistor across it, to mess with the taper a little?

what do you think?

for what it is, it's a great sounding little pedal, not any noisier than most fuzzboxes, and a nice flangy chorus sound with a decent modulation.
unlike the reviews i read and watched on it by people that probably think everything should sound like their "awesome zoom pedal".

;P
Normally i'd agree about not believing everything you read on the net but I know two friends that have had and disliked it for the reasons that are the most common complaints with it and also the fact that very soon after it came out, EHX replaced it with the Neo Clone and the prices for it dropped in accordance... Infact I think I even read a quote from EHX where they admitted it had a higher noise floor than the rest of there pedals.

True I have no first hand experience and for your rig it may very well be fine, and for $25 it's a steal, you could do alot worse! But I wouldn't put the effort into cloneing it when there are better designs is more my point.

Mod ideas... alter the value of the cap off Pin 1&3 of the 4047.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks scruffie,
i'll try doing that. i just cranked up my amp some (girlfreind's out, lol) and it's a wee bit noisier than i thought, but nothing like the reissue clone theory...that pedal sucked and was a huge dissapointment.

i contacted eh and am waiting to hear back from them. i'm not afraid of smt stuff, so if there's anything worth trying, i'm down for it.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr