24V guitar amp

Started by iccaros, May 13, 2011, 09:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iccaros

Here is my Amp I have been working on. It runs on 24 volts and is not a plate staved design.  I wanted some input and not take up anothers thread.
I am changing the bypass caps on the pentodes, but still playing with values.

For this first version I used 2 12k5 in parallel (I did not have a PP transformer at the time)
and 2 12u7 as pre-amp
Here is the design missing the first 12u7 (you can substitute a 12Au7 as they are the same tube, with the 12u7 certified for 12v operation) , I am still working on that part.

here is a sample, build on bread board, so I get some noise..

iccaros

My build out so far :)

My first Chassis, I got a break @ harbor Freight
Still learning

After base Paint

zambo

I am loving that chassis! I need to get a break as well. I intend to build on of these amps soon.  ;)
I wonder what happens if I .......

iccaros

Quote from: zambo on May 13, 2011, 10:02:11 PM
I am loving that chassis! I need to get a break as well. I intend to build on of these amps soon.  ;)

got the 30" http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-bending-brake-67240.html

Had a 20% off coupon

Next is a drill press... And learning to paint..

petemoore

This seems to be prime example of "Just barely enough, none more approach removes the artifacts associated with higher intensity".
   Excellent soundclips, thank you for sharing amp build reports.
  I used to repulse listeners with high intensity amplification devices.
   This clip reminds me of when We used to have 'hot-westinghouse' jamms with tennis shoes and live-grounds. The featherweight speakers sitting on kitchen table would play all night, attracting rave reviews, no complaints.   
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Less often as time goes by, a review puts new order to the list I've been attempting to make a low priority.
   Thank you for sharing the amplifier build reports !
  I noticed there seemed to be an absence of artifacts which I associate with high intensity amplification devices.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

iccaros

Thanks... Glad someone liked my fumbling..  Will have the completed build done this weekend I hope..

I am working next on the 1 watt version.. I do not see it being much louder..  But will be push Pull and I am looking for a tube Rectifier for sag...  There are some 7 pin car version..

iccaros

Build with graphics...

I will update schematic and add video - sound tonight

iccaros

bluesman1218

It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

iccaros

@all, the whole board :)

I want to add a line out or use this strait in for recording.. How would I do that.. Thanks

bluesman1218

Here's your Direct Out

Here's a really cool, and simple, mod. A Bright, Fat Full switch. You'll never want to play an amp without one, after you try it!

For a photo essay of my Silvertone 1482 rebuild, check out my photo album at http://www.facebook.com/pages/VintageToneUSA/201522306547361?sk=photos
It's all about the tone!
Steve

Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

iccaros

to review.. I am slow..

R2 and R1 come off my the speaker jack to a new jack :) yes

and for the fat/boost/bright
If I put a pot on the end of the switch to ground, would that be like a presence mod?

Thanks

bluesman1218

Quote from: iccaros on May 18, 2011, 06:53:10 PM
to review.. I am slow..

R2 and R1 come off my the speaker jack to a new jack :) yes  YES

and for the fat/boost/bright
If I put a pot on the end of the switch to ground, would that be like a presence mod?   don't know, I'd have to look it up - been a long while since I did this.

Thanks
It's all about the tone!
Steve

iccaros

Thank you.. Will repost when I add the line out..

I am also trying to clean up the mids, may just go to the PP design for that..

El Heisenberg

Ive built this too. At first is was just the sopht amp version, but iccaros did the parallel 12K5 and gave me the tubes to try it out.

I have to fix my heater wiring. The 12AE7 is wired in series with the 12K5s which are wired parallel.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

iccaros

Quote from: El Heisenberg on May 22, 2011, 08:50:00 PM
Ive built this too. At first is was just the sopht amp version, but iccaros did the parallel 12K5 and gave me the tubes to try it out.

I have to fix my heater wiring. The 12AE7 is wired in series with the 12K5s which are wired parallel.

once that is done.. Any clips?

El Heisenberg

I have the cheapest mic radioshack sells. A 1/4 inch jack. Only way to do it is plug that directly into my 2001 compaq presario laptop and record with audacity.

iccaros

I use my cheap cam corder ( >$60).. and my phone.. so who am I to judge...

El Heisenberg

Ok but lemme work some things out.

Last nite i measured B+ and it was 16.8v. Heaters were at 10v!!! The 24v ct transformer wasnt enough. I bought a 24v ct 2A from radio shack and B+ was still too low. I lowered my RC resisor to 22 ohm 2 watt and now B+ is 24.5v . Heaters are at 12.6 tho.

In the sopht amp design i started with the rc resistor was 62 ohms.