I just need to vent a little.

Started by Bill Mountain, May 14, 2011, 08:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Mountain

Ok.  I just need to vent just a little.  Every once in a while I like to by a kit.  I like that the enclosure is drilled.  All the parts come in nice little pouches and most of all the circuit is verified.

I purchased a kit that I thought would be fun.  It was the most expensive kit that I have purchased (over $100) and looked like it would be a good challenge.

When I purchased the kit I was emailed a build guide.  I read through the guide and couldn't find the schematic.  I emailed the company and I was told that they lost the schematic.  I can't decipher PCB's.  I much prefer to have a schematic and understand it before I turn the soldering iron on.  I don't believe that this circuit is a clone of anything.  I was assured that it is quite intuitive and the success rate was high.

I get the kit after about 2 weeks and the parts don't match up to the build guide.  Some of the parts are different.  There are a ton of extra components (that's actually a good thing).  There is an extra smaller PCB.  The main PCB is different.  The enclosure looks different than the one on the site and build guide.  Some of the parts are too big for the PCB.  The wire is too thick for the PCB holes.  The pots are PC mount pots (which this PCB doesn't use).  I could go on.

I emailed the company and I received a phone call from the owner.  He tells me that they made some changes but haven't updated the build guide.  He sends me another build guide for a different pedal that has some of the updated components in it.  Now without a schematic to go along with either build guide, I have to combine details from both guides and pray for a working pedal.

I built it in small steps and tested to make sure everything worked as I went along.  I studied the PCB for a while and I still don't know how the circuit works.  I had a lot of off board wiring that I wasn't able to test but it looked good.

I finished her up last night and she lit up but I got no sound.  I opened her up to do some troubleshooting and I took a long look at the mess of wires and I lost the motivation to get it working.  This is not a pedal I need.  This was supposed to be a project where I built something I hadn't made before.  All I really learned from this experiment is that I will never buy a kit from this company again.

At this point, the only reason I want to get this working is because I don't want to waste the money I invested in it.  I have built $20 kits that were better organized and more professional than this.  I am very disappointed.

The enclosure is nice and I could reuse some of the components for other projects but then I just paid $100+ for a predrilled enclosure.

I am well aware that I made a mistake in putting the pedal together.  I'm confident that the circuit does work and that it sounds great.  I know that I could call the owner and he would help me out.  I just wish he put more effort into his kit.

That is all.

Rant over.

Gordo

No excuse for your problems in this day and age (and market).  I'd hit the company up to either make it right or take it back (and fix it themselves).  Kind of defeats the purpose though, like you mentioned it's not the destination...it's the journey.  The fact that you haven't called them out by name in your post speaks volumes about your integrity.

Whip it out here and lets have a look at it.  Having one of those "AHA!" moments will offset the aggravation...
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

Mark Hammer

Small businesses shouldn't make more mistakes than big ones, but they often do, unfortunately.

In light of that, it would probably be unfortunate to name the supplier and project since that might mislead folks about an otherwise decent project and supplier on the basis of one relatively isolated instance.

If you could identify what class of effect this is (e.g., delay, modulation, combination distortion or distortion/booster, etc.), perhaps someone with an interest in that sort of device might provide some off-line assistance that solves your dilemma and leaves an otherwise decent supplier with their reputation intact.

Just a thought.  We're a helpful bunch here, and prefer to save the flames for the backyard BBQ rather than our buddies-in-solder. :icon_smile:

Bill Mountain

Thanks for your responses.  I was concerned that I was being a *&^*&^ and I actually slept on it before I posted anything.

Unfortunately, I believe that I wouldn't be able to give out much detail on the kit without revealing the maker.

I have zero intention of naming the company or the specific kit.  I do not want to smear anyone's name.  I would hate it if, years from now when my pedal is working just fine and the company has revamped its line and this thread still exists that, my complaint could pop up in a Google search.

I'll own my own business one day and I will undoubtedly have an upset customer at some point and would prefer that he/she didn't go all over the internet without giving me the chance to satisfy them.  I see it too often.  It really is a shame.

I'm not sure what I could ask of the kit company.  I don't want them to build me one.  Maybe I could ask for a new PCB and better fitting components.  Maybe I could ask that he make a schematic at least.  But, he doesn't have to do anything.  He provided the parts necessary to build it.  He has offered to help if needed.  It's just that I have been spoiled by the quality of the kits I have built in the past.  I just feel soured by the whole thing.

Gus

What type of effect is it? distortion, fuzz, time delay etc?

StephenGiles

Why bother to post about this if you won't give any information? ::) ::) ::)
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

petemoore

I have zero intention of naming the company or the specific kit.  I do not want to smear anyone's name.
  Kudos, I noticed this on the first post.
   Kits can be a wrangler to wring performance out of, usually not so but this seems to be the case here.
  Subtracting the boards ability to provide the additional help that a schematic would provide is a sacrifice you have chosen to make.
   Now that you've established that, the schematic is the stopper point.
  Some substitutions may be favorable to the project, depends on...what it depends on such as part called out and actual part recieved.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Bill Mountain

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 14, 2011, 01:27:12 PM

I didn't post for help on the pedal per se.

I posted to help validate my feelings (isn't that what the internet is for anyway?).

I wanted to find out if I was being unreasonable before I expressed my full level of disappointment/dissatisfaction with the kit maker.

In my line of work (construction) some customers make what I believe to be excessive requests and demands.  While others are much easier to satisfy.  I'm not quite sure which type of customer I am.

arma61

I think Bill you're 100% right! Kits are made for those who are less skilled than other (though I'm not aware about your skills!) or just miss some tools... (I know s.o can drill an enclosure by hand... but having a wise or a colum drill it's just another story....)

So they're supposed to be easy comparing to "build" the whole stompbox (sourcing parts, make PCB, drill encl....) otherwise they must clearly state and advice the buyer needs this and that skill to builld it..

So, for me, go on and express your disappoint to the kit maker... I'm quite sure they'll solve it.... it may take a while and a bunch of email but you'll get your kit working!

+1 on not naming them (at least for the time being  :D )

Good luck,
Armando

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

newfish

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 14, 2011, 01:27:12 PM

+1 to Bill.

How many times have you read forum comments on the internet, thankfullt not around these parts, where the poster's mouth is running way faster than their brain?

The anonymity of screen-names gives us the armour to say (often) the nastiest of things at the slightest provocation.

Were I running a businees supplying kits that 'didn't quite go together', I'd consider myself *very lucky* that a disappointed customer hadn't shot from the hip, and had contacted me directly to see if some resolution could be found.

The internet, for all its research potential, is frequently a whipping boy for the common man.

Really hope you get this sorted, Bill.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Bill Mountain on May 14, 2011, 08:58:21 AM

When I purchased the kit I was emailed a build guide.  I read through the guide and couldn't find the schematic.  I emailed the company and I was told that they lost the schematic.

I have to admit that would've been the end for me. Instant return. That is nothing but ridiculous.

Since you did build it, I would ask for support  from them....and ask them to "un-lose" the schematic.
It really wouldn't be a bad idea to actually ask them if they wouldn't mind if you posted to a forum for
help if they can't locate the schematic.

good luck
always think outside the box

EATyourGuitar

if the pcb has every component labeled then I would say that you have a schematic. if its just a pcb with no labeling and no documentation then you were scammed.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Projectile

I don't know how you can "lose" a schematic to a kit you are selling as a commercial product. That combined with the fact that the parts don't fit, and you received a different assortment of parts than intended for the kit is pretty bad business. That is beyond a minor error. I think you are being too nice to this company. A hundred dollars is a lot for a kit, and you should expect more. I think it would be totally appropriate to call them out online, and express your dissatisfaction. The fact is, they are not selling a quality product, and other builders are probably getting screwed over too. If you did publicly express your dissatisfaction with their kit, then it would help other, less experienced builders by warning them that they might be getting over their heads by ordering from this company. Calling them out publicly would also force them get their act together. Otherwise, it's just business as usual for them. By not letting people know who they are, it doesn't help anyone except the company that sold you a poor quality product continue to sell shoddy kits.

petemoore

It sounds like a screw up, I'd definitely give them every opportunity [and urge them] to correct it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Projectile on May 14, 2011, 09:26:59 PM
I think it would be totally appropriate to call them out online, and express your dissatisfaction. The fact is, they are not selling a quality product, and other builders are probably getting screwed over too. If you did publicly express your dissatisfaction with their kit, then it would help other, less experienced builders by warning them that they might be getting over their heads by ordering from this company. Calling them out publicly would also force them get their act together. Otherwise, it's just business as usual for them. By not letting people know who they are, it doesn't help anyone except the company that sold you a poor quality product.

+1

I would first try to contact them offline and get it resolved. If there is no attempt to make things right, then by all means feel free to post your dissatisfaction!

When it comes to my hard earned money, my PC (Political Correctness that is...) skills only go so far!  :icon_neutral:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Paul Marossy

I think some people start a business and have good intentions, but aren't able to do everything themselves and in the busyness of running their company things fall thru the cracks. Especially true if you are a one-man show. But that's no excuse for providing poor support for their products, especially if it's a kit that someone who doesn't know a capacitor from a resistor might be building. I think that's the sort of person that builds a lot of these kits on the market.

Anyway, bummer that you had this experience. But it happens sometimes.