switching diodes - dpdt switch before or after diodes?

Started by jplebre, May 14, 2011, 02:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplebre

Hey all

was trying to do a mod to the next pedal - add a choice of diodes.
Was thinking of the ovbious - to add a dpdt switch and switch between the original and a socket that I can change at any time to test diodes, etc.

Now, something began to bugger me. The diodes are reversed (in parallel) so they affect both "sides" of the waveform.
On the example of something like Electra or Dist+, if I only use the pins for input/output, both sets of diodes would be connected to the earth. The diode that allows current to pass from the earth, even the one in the bypassed switch, wouldn't that still affect the signal? The opamp still taps the 0v so...

Guess question is... can parallel diodes (still in contact with the earth) have an effect on the sound even though they are not in the signal path?
Would it be more sensible to apply the switch before or after the diodes? (between signal and diodes or between diodes and ground)?

Thanks
J

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

jplebre

someone else supporting a success rate higher than (say) 85% and I'll try to implement this :)

LucifersTrip

can you post a schematic so we can be perfectly clear what you're doing?

this?

If so, I switch between different sets of parallel reversed diodes all the
time and I use a SPST switch. You only need to disconnect one of either end of the pair ...and it's no longer in the circuit.
Twist the diodes together so you're only dealing with 2 leads total.
always think outside the box

jplebre

It's one of the pedals I want to include it in.

And also on the MXR Dist+ (tonepad)

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

jplebre

Cool ty guys!
I am thinking of including the cap as well on the bundle so I can try the diff between different caps