yet another mxr dist+ cry out for help :)

Started by jplebre, May 15, 2011, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplebre

Hey all

Have been planning a dist+ (before I tried the beginner project)
So, I tried to go the hard route and plan the veroboard layout myself.

Built it, no distortion whatsoever. Exactly the same sound with or without the 3dpt switch engaged. I have a pedal that I built with aligator clips coming of it that I used to test the beginner project and I can guarantee issue is not in the switch.

this is my layout. Can anyone help to see what the issue could be?

Boost pot does nothing, volume pot works, not distortion. Using Tonepads schem and suggested parts

http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=115

arma61

I know it's a stupid question... anyway.... did you cut the traces under the IC  :icon_lol:

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

jplebre

some voltages:

- battery 8v
-IC 8v on both pin 7 and 4
3.8v on pin 3

Where else would be required some voltages reading?

jplebre

Yeap! :)

Just imagine 4 crosses under the IC :)

arma61

Quote from: jplebre on May 15, 2011, 02:35:17 PM
some voltages:

- battery 8v
-IC 8v on both pin 7 and 4
3.8v on pin 3

Where else would be required some voltages reading?

I don't know about the other pins but pin 4 MUST be 0V, it's connected to grund!

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jplebre

Indeed!

I think the jug of pimms is beginning to affect me :P
Battery - 8v
So does pin 7 of the IC
Pin 2 and pin 6 - 3.9v
pin 3 - 3.3v
pin 4 - 0v !!!! (ufffff! :P

jplebre

Hey Astronaut

I referenced that drawing when I made this one as I had a few doubts about what I was doing.
Guess i'll look at that one more attentively (but it's missing a cut isn't it? :P)

deadastronaut

hmmm not sure, havent built it myself....

i think the port is getting to me too... ;)

i find it easier to do a vero layout using a schematic... are you using diy layout creator prog?...

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jplebre

eheh! enjoy our wine (I'm from Porto :)

I tried DYILC 3.0.8 but it looks dreadful compared to the layouts you guys post...
(I'm on mac any good suggestions? don't mind to pay a small fee if that's the issue!)

Cheers
J

arma61

Quote from: jplebre on May 15, 2011, 03:00:26 PM
Hey Astronaut

I referenced that drawing when I made this one as I had a few doubts about what I was doing.
Guess i'll look at that one more attentively (but it's missing a cut isn't it? :P)

give me 5 mins, that layout is known to have a missing cut .. need to find the link

bbs

Armando

arma61

ther you go m8

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74691.msg607418#msg607418

but looks like you have that cut in place!

jplebre

so it looks my layout could be correct then?

Also, I've found too many conflicting info on the pots. Any post with a discussion that actually ends up with a conclusion? :P
And, the ground being split through 2 tracks (with a jumper) - can pot's that are going to ground and components that are going to ground too be drop on whichever? Or are there considerations to be had (like audio devices and ground loops?)

petemoore

Also, I've found too many conflicting info on the pots. Any post with a discussion that actually ends up with a conclusion?
  100k audio is good for volume control.
   What do you want the gain pot to do ?
  50k linear [tapered?] worth of gain reduction spreads 'distortion settings' across the sweep pretty good, eliminating the 'schrunchin' of distortion fine-tuning to the last 5% of knob rotation. Works great for 'distortion' title, but loses the ability to go very low gain.
  Anything else can work but the circuit it's connected to has a steepening as the pot is turned toward 0 ohms = max gain.   
And, the ground being split through 2 tracks (with a jumper) - can pot's that are going to ground and components that are going to ground too be drop on whichever? Or are there considerations to be had (like audio devices and ground loops?)
  All the grounds made common works. Often this looks like a ground-bus for the onboard grounds [a solid wire or wires soldered along the 'bottom' of the board] but can be any wire/layout. The offboard ground wire must make all the offboard ground markings of schematic, there are no great currents to be concerned with most 9v projects, test that all ground markings 'beep' with the DMM to ensure they've been made common.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jplebre

sorry kinda lost you here

QuoteWhat do you want the gain pot to do ?
  50k linear [tapered?] worth of gain reduction spreads 'distortion settings' across the sweep pretty good, eliminating the 'schrunchin' of distortion fine-tuning to the last 5% of knob rotation. Works great for 'distortion' title, but loses the ability to go very low gain.
  Anything else can work but the circuit it's connected to has a steepening as the pot is turned toward 0 ohms = max gain.   

Was trying to do the same as the "original" mxr dist+ would do. Now, I think i got everything up untill the bit "circuit it's connected to has a steepening ..." what exactly makes that?