Stripped pots

Started by spargo, May 20, 2011, 02:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spargo

I was tightening a nut onto an Alpha PC mount pot today and tightened a bit too tight and the threads stripped rendering the pot useless.  Has anyone done this before?  What kind of pressure do you apply for tightening things, pots in particular?  I was pretty surprised because I wasn't tightening it very tight.  I also noticed that the threads of the PC mount pots look a bit more plasticy and not as tough as the solder lug pots.

John Lyons

Happens from time to time.
After a while you get used to the "feel" of how much they will take to get
tight but not strip. The pot bushings are quite soft metal.  :'(
Depends on the tool you use to tighten the nut.
I use a nut driver.

Thread the nut slowly and be careful of cross threading, the bushing will
get chewed up pretty easily that way.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Seven64

i use needle nose pliers, and i cant get it too tight without them losing grip on the nut, but the pots seem to stay in place.

(i have also used wrenches before, but i have none of my own at the moment)

ayayay!

Anyone know of a good (cheap) suggestion for deep nut drivers.  I can get the deep well sockets at HF, but I'd really just like a set of (cheap) deep nut drivers.  Did I mention I want them to be cheap? 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

davent

For the thin nuts used for attaching pots and jacks it's helpful to grind the end of the nut driver flat. As purchased,  nut drivers have an inner bevel on the socket (see John's picture) that leaves very little material inside the socket to grip the also usually beveled nut.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

spargo

I was using a ratchet.  I've used pliers in the past, but then they would slip and chip the paint of the enclosure.  I think a nut driver may be a better way to go since you can't get near as much leverage compared to a ratchet.

John Lyons

For the thin nuts used for attaching pots and jacks it's helpful to grind the end of the nut driver flat.
I looked at my drivers and they are flush. Good tip though.
I did grind down a socket that was beveled.  :icon_wink:

I was using a ratchet.

That's probably part of the problem, too much torque possible

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

boogietone

I use a deep socket and tighten by hand mostly. An easy tug with a ratchet or socket screwdriver can snug 'em down if needed. It's a feel thing.
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

therecordingart

I use ratcheting box wrenches and apply just a little extra torque after the nut stops moving.

petemoore

Suggests:
  Exact hole size, champhored edge holes [large drill bit takes off burrs, allows washer to sit flush/flat, keeps burrs out of the threads too].
   Gotta be careful, pliers easily have enough pressure to crush the nut into ovular shape.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

therecordingart

Quote from: petemoore on May 20, 2011, 03:18:34 PM
  Suggests:
  Exact hole size, champhored edge holes [large drill bit takes off burrs, allows washer to sit flush/flat, keeps burrs out of the threads too].
   Gotta be careful, pliers easily have enough pressure to crush the nut into ovular shape.

Crushed nuts are never a good thing.  :icon_lol:

bluesman1218

Quote from: ayayay! on May 20, 2011, 10:18:16 AM
Anyone know of a good (cheap) suggestion for deep nut drivers.  I can get the deep well sockets at HF, but I'd really just like a set of (cheap) deep nut drivers.  Did I mention I want them to be cheap? 

It might be easier, and less expensive, to just make sure your nut drivers have hollow shafts. In most cases, the shaft will fit over the shaft you're threading the nut on.
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

bluesman1218

Quote from: therecordingart on May 20, 2011, 03:20:01 PM
Quote from: petemoore on May 20, 2011, 03:18:34 PM
  Suggests:

Crushed nuts are never a good thing.  :icon_lol:

+1
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

LucifersTrip

Quote from: spargo on May 20, 2011, 02:09:26 AM
I was tightening a nut onto an Alpha PC mount pot today and tightened a bit too tight and the threads stripped rendering the pot useless.  Has anyone done this before?  What kind of pressure do you apply for tightening things, pots in particular?  I was pretty surprised because I wasn't tightening it very tight.  I also noticed that the threads of the PC mount pots look a bit more plasticy and not as tough as the solder lug pots.

not useless...if you stripped it, you've killed the most lower thread. just leave the nut on there and tighten it with another nut. yes, you will have less shaft, but it should prob be enough to get another nut on there.
always think outside the box

Tony Forestiere

Cheap box end wrench with the face ground flat (if it is not already so). Tighten the nut finger tight, then give it 1/8 to 1/4 turn with the box end to cinch it.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

zombiwoof

I bought a cool T-handled deep socket tool years ago from Stew-Mac that is great for U.S.-standard pot nuts, I don't know if they still offer it but it has served me well.  I think the nut size on the metric pots is different, though, so I just use a deep socket of the right size for those, and use the socket without a handle to tighten the nuts.  Just using the socket by itself helps to keep from over-tightening the nuts, because with the handle you have to be very careful not to over-tighten, just holding the deep socket in your fingers to tighten the nut allows you to tighten them just enough to hold, but it's hard to overdo it.

Al