Slow gear 'regen' time

Started by Seven64, May 20, 2011, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

I am not sure if that is the correct term, but i finished my slow gear build the other day and am having a problem with it.  The first strum works as it should, with the volume swell in, but then the sustain is far too long.  I see videos were you can pick rather quickly and still have the effect on each note, but on mine i have to wait a good 10 seconds before i can get the effect again.  once the note swells in, all the following notes are at the same volume until i stop picking for 10-15 seconds. 

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/cathexis/Veroboard+Layouts/Slow+Gear/Slow+Gear.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I have checked a few times, and i am pretty sure the bc549's are backwards on the layout, and mine didn't make any sort of good sound until i reversed them.

i have searched google for a circuit breakdown, so i could possibly find where the effect regeneration area is in the circuit and alter it so it can go faster.

any help would be much appreciated! 

i did also find this, and it appears that the original pedal has a few more transistors (9 instead of 6) than any of the modern clones i can find.

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2655&start=0

wavley

Quote from: Seven64 on May 20, 2011, 01:17:29 PM
I am not sure if that is the correct term, but i finished my slow gear build the other day and am having a problem with it.  The first strum works as it should, with the volume swell in, but then the sustain is far too long.  I see videos were you can pick rather quickly and still have the effect on each note, but on mine i have to wait a good 10 seconds before i can get the effect again.  once the note swells in, all the following notes are at the same volume until i stop picking for 10-15 seconds. 

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/cathexis/Veroboard+Layouts/Slow+Gear/Slow+Gear.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I have checked a few times, and i am pretty sure the bc549's are backwards on the layout, and mine didn't make any sort of good sound until i reversed them.

i have searched google for a circuit breakdown, so i could possibly find where the effect regeneration area is in the circuit and alter it so it can go faster.

any help would be much appreciated! 

i did also find this, and it appears that the original pedal has a few more transistors (9 instead of 6) than any of the modern clones i can find.

http://www.....org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2655&start=0

Without looking at the schematic I would imagine that the extra transistors are for the boss bypass switching and you built the true bypass version.

It sounds like your effect is pretty much working correctly, the slow gear works like a gate, if your volume is above a certain threshold then the gate won't close.  Are you muting your strings or letting them ring?  The only way to get this thing to respond quickly to multiple notes is to mute the note before you play the next one.  I find that a decent compressor in front of my slow gear helps even things out and help with it's function.

It can be a really touchy pedal until you get the hang of how it wants you to play.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Seven64

i just tried again muting the strings and got the same result.  also, the actual swell into the sound is REALLY long (on the longer end of 800ms).  

i wish i could get a soundclip :(

also, sometimes the swell in is REALLY fuzzy, which i don't think is correct.  that more matters on where the trimpot is on the PCB,

could it be being tempermental because my guitar has active pickups (EMG's)?

Mark Hammer

The service notes on the SG-1 indicate that the trimpot between the JFET and ground needs to be adjusted right.

wavley

Check and make sure that .47uF cap on the gate of the fet isn't a 47uF, that cap charging and discharging controls the speed of the swell.

+1 on that trimpot, it takes a little while to tweak it right.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Seven64

OoOoOo, gonna change that cap.  does it have to be polarized?

also, found this thread

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=71352

all my voltages are a little different, but i don't think i am checking them right.

Seven64

changed it, and now it is alot quicker!  but now it sounds like there is a scratchy swell on top of the actual note, instead if it gating the actual signal. i can still hear the note behind the swell, and the swell is really electronic/fuzzy

Seven64

well, this is weird.

i think that vero layout is just wrong, because for whatever reason, it still is just sounding bad.

as you can see in that pic, on the far right i have a PCB layout on bottom and a vero layout on top that are both fully populated.  they are both the slow gear, but i switched to the vero cause i couldn't get my trimpot to fit the pcb.  well, i busted out my hobby knife and made the holes a little bigger for the trimpot after desoldering the one that had 2 of the 3 points attached, and the new trimpot just slipped right in.  i finished up the wiring (grounded the switch and ran the LED) and tried it out.  it works perfectly.  i love it, and wish it would fit in the enclosure i had originally bought for it, but ended up with the vero in it.  time to buy another enclosure.  at least i can get the sound i was looking for :D