Single power supply for 25 effects?

Started by jubal81, May 23, 2011, 01:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Hoping to build one of these and I'm wondering what transformer amperage rating I would need to pull it off. Also, are there any other issues/problems with a setup like this?

jubal81

Actually, the more I think about it, I think the Weber transformer will probably do the job.

Hides-His-Eyes

I would not recommend sharing one ground between multiple digital pedals unless you've tried them all together already WITH a transistor fuzz in there too (those pick up noise like anything)

Mark Hammer

The greater the number of pedals being powered, the greater the likelihood that there can be some type of line noise from one pedal affecting others.  Given that you're talking about 25 pedals, it is hard to imagine that there aren't at least one or two digital pedals in there.

That does not mean that one shouldn't share power at all.  Rather it means that, as the number of pedals adds up, one needs to start incorporating some degree of isolation between the devices being powered, rather than just daisy-chaining all 25 pedals together.

So, for example, consider powering a handful of 100ma or 1amp 3-pin regulators (with their own smoothing caps) with a common transformer.  Each of those regulators will power 3 to 5 pedals, and provide some insurance against line noise coming from the pedal working its way back to other pedals.

R.G.

Although I don't recommend it, we once discovered we were running 200 (no, not a typo) pedals from one 1Spot. The 1Spot was still happily putting out 9.3Vdc but the daisy chains had sagged a couple of volts from the resistive and connector losses.  :icon_eek:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluesman1218

Quote from: jubal81 on May 23, 2011, 02:43:26 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, I think the Weber transformer will probably do the job.

My comment on the Weber trannies from another thread re: R.G.'s Spyder, which is a really sweet PSU!
Quote from: bluesman1218 on April 14, 2011, 10:26:48 PM
Those Weber trannies are huge and do require a large box. I bought 2, but never built the PS with them. I did build a the single tranny version for my bench and I'm very happy with it. I did add a set of binding posts to the box for flexibility. I bought a lighted rocker switch from Mouser and wired the LED contacts to the 9vDC jack. Had to figure that one out myself. The data sheet showed nothing and the tech at Mouser didn't know.

They are not a practical size for a pedalboard, unless it's a huge one. For a bench supply, they would be fine. You can pull the spec sheet with measurements from Weber's site.
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

boogietone

Quote from: R.G. on May 23, 2011, 03:11:32 PM
Although I don't recommend it, we once discovered we were running 200 (no, not a typo) pedals from one 1Spot. The 1Spot was still happily putting out 9.3Vdc but the daisy chains had sagged a couple of volts from the resistive and connector losses.  :icon_eek:

Would love to see that pedal board!! :icon_mrgreen:
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

Mark Hammer

jubal81

The spyder with a Weber tranny should be enough for what I'm planning. Going for an all-in-one analog board. Buffered on both ends, two independent channels, 4-channel mixer, built-in headphone amp and a balanced output.

Should look something like this:

bluesman1218

Quote from: jubal81 on May 23, 2011, 07:18:03 PM
The spyder with a Weber tranny should be enough for what I'm planning. Going for an all-in-one analog board. Buffered on both ends, two independent channels, 4-channel mixer, built-in headphone amp and a balanced output.

Should look something like this:

Very cool layout. Will you be using the pots that lock down and are spring loaded to extend for adjustment? If not, how are you going to stomp the upper row of switches?
It's all about the tone!
Steve

Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

jubal81

Quote from: bluesman1218 on May 23, 2011, 08:02:52 PM
Very cool layout. Will you be using the pots that lock down and are spring loaded to extend for adjustment? If not, how are you going to stomp the upper row of switches?

Nah, I don't want to get that complicated with it. My goal with this is to be able to build a new pedal without having to do all that tedious box mounting, jack wiring, etc.
The effects will connect with one 4-prong interconnect to the footswitch.

Still haven't settled on the exact dimensions, but I'm thinking about 32" wide by 12" or 14" deep. I think with low-profile aluminum knobs I'll be OK. Besides, I'm not a wild stomper.

bluesman1218

Just a thought, but you could alternate the stomps like this. Mine is a different application, but I had to fit them in a smaller width and this spacing works with my 11EEE shoes.
I'm going to a different  form factor, but this still works for switches and spacing.

It's all about the tone!
Steve

R.G.

You might want to look at the "steel studs" articles at geofex.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jubal81

Quote from: R.G. on May 23, 2011, 09:15:45 PM
You might want to look at the "steel studs" articles at geofex.

Whoa, that's one to remember. I actually ordered a box from http://markm330.fatcow.com/index.html these guys for a testing station. If it's pretty good quality, I'll probably get them to make a custom-sized one for the pedalboard.

By the way, how many points do I get for hijacking my own thread?  ;)

bluesman1218

I haven't been able to find those studs locally. Awhile back I looked up the manufacturer, but didn't see a local dealer. Time to look again, those are perfect size.
It's all about the tone!
Steve