Are IC's swappable?

Started by VeridisQuo, June 02, 2011, 10:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeridisQuo

In the way that some transistors are? I'm building a phase 45 clone from GGG and I have noticed that I have one tl072 IC and one tl071. I need two tl072 chips but I am wondering if I can have two other kind of IC's in there as well or if they HAVE TO BE TL072's. I know some people have done this to overdrive pedals and so on so I'm wondering if the same will apply to this phaser. Thanks!

VeridisQuo

Also does anyone know where to buy parts for stuff like this in san diego? I've checked fry's, radioshack, harbor frieght. What else is there?

rousejeremy

It is swappable with other dual op amps.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

asatbluesboy

Yup. Just double-check pinouts and you should be good.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

VeridisQuo

So I could just use 2 of these in my phaser instead of the tl072's? and it would work fine?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062594&filterName=Category

oldschoolanalog

Yes. Just fine.
A bit pricey; but you have to do what you have to do.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

egasimus

Whoah, those are expensive. Cost less than a buck at other stores, though - find a better supplier! :)
Solder a round-pin IC socket on the PCB and experiment with different opamps. For starters, TL062, TL072, TL082, NE5532 (personal favourite), NE5534, LF353, (J)RC4558, MC1458 are all compatible.

rockhorst

Just to be sure: the TL071 is the single version of the TL072  (dual opamp). So those are actually not interchangeable.
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

ashcat_lt

^Not directly pin-for-pin swappable, no.  Functionally, though, 2 x 071 is exactly the same as an 072.

EATyourGuitar

so if you have to buy another tl071, you could just buy the other tl072 and save two redundant power pins to the 3 ic's.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

alparent

Quote from: VeridisQuo on June 02, 2011, 10:16:23 PM
Also does anyone know where to buy parts for stuff like this in san diego? I've checked fry's, radioshack, harbor frieght. What else is there?

Don't know about San Diego...but look at places like

Tayda or Futurlec (slow shipping  but dirt cheap)
Mouser, Digykey (faster ........... pricier)
also SmallBear, Padal Parts Plus ....... and the DIYstompbox Store.

As an example.....Tayda sells the TL072 for .19 and the TL082 for .22

If you start building effects you will get to love those suppliers.

EATyourGuitar

just be careful that if your reading a schematic that says it needs a specific manufacturer of the IC. tayda usually only has chineese versions. so your TL072 is actually a TL072N. I built a parallel universe fuzz that needs the chineese one to oscillate. I got lucky that I ordered from jameco and thats what I got. it uses the inverting opamp as an oscillator so its a special case really.

TL072 at jameco
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

zombiwoof

Small Bear has a nice selection of opamps at decent prices.  He is also a forum member here.
Aron's store is a good place to check, but I don't know if he has as big a selection, if you want to experiment with different chips.  I have bought stuff from him and he is reliable and ships quickly (same goes for Small Bear).

Al

Mark Hammer

In the vast majority of cases, one dual op-amp can be substituted for by another.

There may be some differences between various families of op-amps when it comes to issues of noise/hiss, current drain, and optimal impedances, but the circuit will generally "work".  At that point, you can determine what would improve the functioning of the circuit.

For example, many modulation pedals will use an LM358 or a TL022 for the LFO circuit.  You can use any of a variety of other chips, but you may notice a slightly louder "ticking" sound if not using a low current chip like the one mentioned.

There ARE instances where superficial characteristics might suggest a swappable chip but they aren't.  For instance the LM/XR4136 is also a "14-pin low noise quad op-amp" like a TL074 or LM837, and often used in Craig Anderton designs, but it uses a very different pinout.  Some dual op-amps are designed to be able to drive low impedance loads like headphnes; the NE5532 and LM833 fall into this category.  Trying to drive a headphone with a TL072 or LM4558 is not going to work out so well, even though they will work out great in ohter kinds of circuits.