Keep On Running...

Started by AS74, June 04, 2011, 06:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AS74

Anybody know what the fuzz is on this cool Spencer Davis Group number?  I'm thinkin, maybe Vox Tonebender.  Always loved that gnarly sound. 8)

AS74

Is it general knowledge and I missed it in my searches? :icon_redface:
Or doesn't anybody know? ;D
Any educated guesses are welcome... ;)

AS74

I was bored and looking through some of my old posts.  Never got a bite with this one and found this little titbit tonight.

'Steve had the same fuzz pedal Keith Richards had used on Satisfaction, so used it to give the guitar that distinctive raw riff.'

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/nov/18/how-we-made-keep-on-running-spencer-davis-group

So it seems it could be one of the Fuzztone variables.  I have tried to build the circuit a few years ago, a couple of times.  Never got it right.

Anyone had success with it?

Sorry for the resurrection.   ;D

Mark Hammer

Thanks for that, and for your dogged persistence about a great tune.

A few things to note:
a) One should never confuse how a fuzz responds to a single note string with how it sounds in response to a power chord.  As near as I can tell, those wonderful bursts of fuzz are in response to the lower three strings being hit hard.  Lotsa push, there.
b) One should never confuse how a fuzz circuit sounds with how it has been EQd and amped.  Lotsa sizzle, there, but that an be gotten with the right speakers, tone settings, and guitar.

But underneath all that, yeah, it does sound kind of like "Satisfaction"...just....more satisfying.  :icon_biggrin: