Converting a nano muff overdrive?

Started by 944cabby, June 08, 2011, 04:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

944cabby

Is it possible to convert a ehx nano muff overdrive to a fuzz pedal?
I have one but i'm not fussed on the sound, so i fancy trying to convert it to a fuzz,
Is it possible?  

aron

Do you have the nano muff schematic? The answer is probably yes but it is a fuzz pedal. I guess you just want "more".

Hides-His-Eyes

In a sense, but you might as well just reuse the enclosure by the time you've "converted" it.

EATyourGuitar

its a one knob muff. volume knob only. muffs have always been more on the distortion side of the fuzz thing. maybe scrap it and get a fuzz pedal that you like.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

944cabby

Quote from: EATyourGuitar on June 08, 2011, 04:53:11 PM
its a one knob muff. volume knob only. muffs have always been more on the distortion side of the fuzz thing.
Would changing the transistors  give it a more fuzzy/splattery sound rather than just distorted?

EATyourGuitar

Quote from: EATyourGuitar on June 08, 2011, 04:53:11 PM
its a one knob muff. volume knob only. muffs have always been more on the distortion side of the fuzz thing. maybe scrap it and get a fuzz pedal that you like.
I was dead wrong. thats what I get for trusting electro harmonix marketing department. it really is its own circuit.
schematic...GO!http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/mufffuzztransschem.gif
from this thread
its close enough to an NPN fuzz face that you could turn it into one. you can probably keep the transistors, change some caps and resistors. you would need to wire an off board cap where the fuzz pot is in the fuzz face schematic. you would also need to remove the diodes if you want it to be more like the fuzz face. if its all little SMT/SMD, you might want to just give up now. unless you have a conical tip and parts the size of rice dont scare you at all.

the good news is that its all stock and would hold its value on ebay so you have more money to build a fuzz face or any other fuzz from scratch. you came to the right place if you need help with that too.

blooze_man

I'm pretty sure the Nano muff uses the op-amp version of the Muff Fuzz. I built the transistor version and it's fuzzy. Maybe you could take a gutshot?
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

944cabby

Sorry for the delay,
Here's some pics:

How can i find out what type the 3 black transistors are?They're just marked fb1,fb2 and fb3?

EATyourGuitar

there are only two transistors in this circuit. just a guess but EH uses 2n5088 in a lot of the newer pedals. most like they are 2n5088. you can read it right off the side if the transistor on the flat side. but I'm like %99 sure its 2n5088.

944cabby

Yes, you're right 2n5088 - can you suggest any replacements?Also, what would happen if the transistors are removed completely - would that totally  remove the fuzz/distortion?

EATyourGuitar

removing the transistors would break it and make it not pass sound. they are essential. if you are going to change them you should also change the bias resistors and maybe a few other things. I am skeptical that you would get it to be very fuzzy by changing just the transitors. as said above, you can make a fuzz face out of it and keep the transistors. you can also remove the diodes no problem or add a switch to lift the diodes. it will be less compressed and distorted if you remove the diodes. you do have room on the side for a carefully placed diode switch. as I said before, you can make a normal fuzz face out of this PCB and for just pennies. but its not something I would do for my first build unless you have all the tools you need and you know how to trace a pcb with your eye. you should probably close it back up and start from scratch building a fuzz pedal.

superferrite

Psychedelic Garage Metal

Earthscum

Question for y'all... what are the black cylinders? They look like optocouplers.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

EATyourGuitar

They do look like optocouplers but that doesnt make sense. Probably just rubber to keep the pcb from moving or touching ground.

slacker

I think they are  ferrite beads, not sure what they're using them for though. I know some digital pedals use them on the input and output to stop digital noise getting out of the pedal, but I don't know what purpose they serve in a fuzz pedal.

944cabby

Quote from: slacker on June 13, 2011, 01:18:02 PM
I think they are  ferrite beads, not sure what they're using them for though. I know some digital pedals use them on the input and output to stop digital noise getting out of the pedal, but I don't know what purpose they serve in a fuzz pedal.
Yes, they have 6 holes in each end with a single wire wound through - stupidly i thought they were the transistors until i found out on the tinterweb - would the wire be exactly the same as used on diodes and resistors etc?