Ludwig Phase II Clone Tech Notes

Started by R.G., June 10, 2011, 03:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keppy

"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Mr Bill

Hey, Guys - I'm posting this in this thread, although it should be posted in the other pedal resurrection thread, which has gone buy the wayside now that the clone is alive. 
I took off one of my "mushrooms" off the stomp switches, measured it up with calipers and gave this info to our machine shop guy.  I have the ones on the Animation, Fuzz and Stereo, but not the Bypass.  He brought the piece to me and although it looked perfect, it didn't fit on the bypass switch.  It was at this point that I noticed that the bypass switch is different from the other three. Although they're all DPDT, the bypass switch isn't as tall from chassis to the tip and the diameter of the top button of the switch is larger. 
Somebody who has a unit with all four "caps", is the bypass switch cap taller? Could somebody give me the dimensions? I had one of our mechanical guys draw me up the mushroom cap in about five minutes, sans dimensioning.  I will add that info which I already have for the three switches. If somebody could give me the dimensions of the bypass cap mushroom I can integrate into the drawing for anybody to recreate these parts.  They were DEFINITELY made in the Ludwig shop!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mr Bill on September 02, 2011, 11:29:49 AM
Hey, Guys - I'm posting this in this thread, although it should be posted in the other pedal resurrection thread, which has gone buy the wayside now that the clone is alive. 
I took off one of my "mushrooms" off the stomp switches, measured it up with calipers and gave this info to our machine shop guy.  I have the ones on the Animation, Fuzz and Stereo, but not the Bypass.  He brought the piece to me and although it looked perfect, it didn't fit on the bypass switch.  It was at this point that I noticed that the bypass switch is different from the other three. Although they're all DPDT, the bypass switch isn't as tall from chassis to the tip and the diameter of the top button of the switch is larger. 
Somebody who has a unit with all four "caps", is the bypass switch cap taller? Could somebody give me the dimensions? I had one of our mechanical guys draw me up the mushroom cap in about five minutes, sans dimensioning.  I will add that info which I already have for the three switches. If somebody could give me the dimensions of the bypass cap mushroom I can integrate into the drawing for anybody to recreate these parts.  They were DEFINITELY made in the Ludwig shop!  

Could this just be a case of someone modding that particular switch before the unit was in your possesion?

If the switch is the same as the others (i.e. DPDT latching, etc.) I doubt the original manufacturer would have sourced a SEPERATE switch just for that one position. I am wondering if the "original" switch had broken long ago and someone just replaced it with what was on-hand.

Thus, the reason it is missing the cap  ;)

Just shooting from the hip.....  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

interesting bill...as it always seems that it's the bypass switch that seems to break, maybe it is a different switch!

look forward to getting the dimensions so i can ask my friend gary to make some for me, too!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

here's the thing, gov't lackey...

them m*%*% f*^%&&'s were impossible to get replacements for back then. that's why there were no true bypass pedals then, the dpdt stompswitch wasn't available til pretty much the net came along.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Weird... checked both my units, and all the button caps are identical. My bypass switches are the same as well.

Sounds like your bypass switch got swapped out, hence the missing cap.

Ironic that you bring this up, just dropped samples off at a machine shop 2 days ago, along with a side knob, and the pull lock knob for the fall plate.

3 switch caps, 1 side knob, 1 lock knob, and 1 handle stiffener bar = 90$. At least they'll look authentic.  :icon_mrgreen:

Small world.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Govmnt_Lacky

Sorry Mr. Bill, looks like you are a victim of the "old school" DIY'er  :icon_eek:

Ohhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooo  ;D

(Crude clay Mr. Bill reference)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mr Bill

Actually, govmnt lacky, I found another picture on the internet with no caps on it and it was exactly the same as mine.  My unit came directly from Ludwig to the infamous House of Guitars in Irodequoit, NY, new,  and was acquired by a HOG  employee/guitar teacher who then sold it to my brother, from which I go it from. My brother bought in late 71/early 72 from him, I acquired it in 1973. The switches are stock and I've noticed another picture on the net that showed this same config, as all the mushrooms were missing. Ludwig probably changed these on the fly, although I doubt it was due to customer feedback, based on the short run... It's also possible that they left that cap off on some production runs, although it would seem unlikely.

Mr Bill

Well, anyhow -One of our process detail guys made a quick sketch of my "mushroom" drawing and I will add dimensions with pen in hand to the drawing.  Any mechanical engineers, feel free to "clean it up."  I will post it next week , when I get back to work.  I'll scan it and send it, any preferences, jpg, bmp, or pdf?

Mr Bill

Here's a silly question, when I scan the "mushroom" drawing I assume I will be leaving a hyperlink to the drawing? Where would I put the drawing for general consumption? Or is it simply one of the abbove buttons?

pinkjimiphoton

hi bill, the easiest way is too upload it to photobucket or something, then link it with the third button in the bottom row...just stick the hyperlink between the img tags.

the ludwigs didn't ship without the shrooms...it was part of the pedal. the ones ya see without them have had the switches replaced, or the shrooms were lost. they are only held on with a little allen screw, and often fell off...sometimes making folks think they'd broken the switch, which in fact still worked.

other times, the whole switch body would fall apart internally, and the whole thing would fall apart. but all of 'em had the shrooms originally.
;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

R.G.

Just a note: I think the layout is final enough, and I'm putting the documentation together for the full-gallon ludwig clone boards, with BOM, special mounting instructions, tuning instructions, etc.

I think everyone who does a toner version will want the bigger version which minimizes wiring down to only  :icon_eek: about two dozen wires, so that's what I'm going to post when I get the typing done.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

pinkjimiphoton

righteous, rg...thanks so much for all you've done!!

i got your pm...will respond as soon as i know what to say, or what i wanna do....too much going on right now to contemplate much, thanks for the understanding!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

R.G.

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 03, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
righteous, rg...thanks so much for all you've done!!

i got your pm...will respond as soon as i know what to say, or what i wanna do....too much going on right now to contemplate much, thanks for the understanding!! ;)

No biggie, no hurry.

Talk to Dino.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mr Bill

I'll have to talk to my brother and have him ask the original owner about the stomp switch.   Being that they are a large music store, replacing the switch would have been easy, if the original succumbed to infancy failure.  This was a YOUNG pedal at the time....
It just occurred to me that the original owner may be on Facebook... Duh!! I can ask him directly!

Mr Bill

Success! Just sent an email to the original owner of my pedal and asked, even if it seemed trivial to him, ANY info, to send the timeline info on when he owned it.  I also mentioned about the bypass switch ....man, the internet ROCKS!!! 

UKToecutter

Is anyone getting some boards made?
I'd love to have a properly manufactured board with solder mask and legend.

Andy
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

UKToecutter

Just got a price for a small manufacturing run.
Gets cheaper the more you have (obviously).
For a run of 50 boards 7" x 5.9" (yes, I know that's both boards together) comes to about £285 sterling.

Spec:

PCB Online Quote
1. Board layer:[1]
2. Quantity:[50]
3. Length in mm: [178]
4. Width in mm: [145]
5. Base material:[FR4 Tg 130 (standard)]
6. Thickness:[1.6mm]
7. Copper weight:[1oz]
8. Solder mask:[both top & bottom]
9. Silk screen:[top only]
10. Surface:[HASL (lead free)]
11. Country:[UK]
12. Repeat order[No]
13. Laser stencil[No]

That's approx £5.70 each (approx $9.12)

What do you guys think?

Andy

ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

Talk to Jimi, Dino, and Keppy. Their permission is needed for any commercial or group purchases.
R.G.

UKToecutter

R.G.
Strictly non commercial.....
I'll talk to the guys about a group buy (if they're interested).
TBH I'm happy to just order a couple of boards for myself.
Would one of the guys have gerber files for this?
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards