Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control/Tube Reamer - What values to use?

Started by theundeadelvis, June 11, 2011, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theundeadelvis

Howdy folks! I built a ROG Tube Reamer a while back, and it's always been a tad trebly for my liking. I figure it might be a good candidate for Mark Hammer's SWTC, but I'm not sure what values I should use for the components? The TR has a 100k volume pot. Any suggestions? I'm not clear on how to do the math to calculate the ideal values. Thanks in advance!
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

azrael

Well, you could always just adjust one of the caps in the build, you know? There is a treble roll off cap in each opamp stage, and there is a low pass filter right before the second opamp. increase the size of any of those caps to roll off more treble.

theundeadelvis

I considered doing that, but I do like the versatility of a tone control. Every once in a while I'll like to make ears bleed with a little excess treble.  :D

Mark Hammer

Take a look at the Serendipity schematic over at the Madbean site: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Serendipity/docs/Serendipity_ver.5.pdf

The SWTC was intended to provide a simple lowpass filter, inserted before the volume pot, that would not result in volume level changes.  If a standard RC lowpass filter is buffered, it can be implemented, without penalty, in other ways.  The Serendipity shows how.  The Proco Rat also provides an example of a simple variable lowpass filter, followed by a JFET buffer stage to isolate it.

If you replaced the .022uf cap with a .027uf unit, and placed a 10k variable resistor (pot) in series with the 1k resistor, you would have a variable lowpass filter whose corner frequency would range from 536hz-5.9khz, which is a nice range from bright to fairly smooth.  Using a .033uf cap would give you 438hz to 4.8khz, which is a little smoother still.

theundeadelvis

Thanks you Mark! You are an invaluable member of this community, and I always appreciate your thorough yet clear advice.

theundeadelvis

Installed the SWTC using your suggested values Mark, and it does exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks again!

Mark Hammer

Excellent!  I love it when standard values, a little bit of math, and some intuition about how frequency-information translates into tone, come together.

I tell ya, there are some days when I feel like a chef, sipping a taste of the broth, squinting, and thinking "Needs a little bit of bay leaf, and juuuuussst a tad more cumin".  :icon_lol:

theundeadelvis

Maybe that's where I go wrong, b/c I'm always "more garlic! more Sriracha!"