any hot chicks here? i want to show off my huge inductor.

Started by joegagan, June 21, 2011, 04:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Hides-His-Eyes

Reminds me of something, but I just can't think what.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Govmnt_Lacky

I have about 4 or 5 of those type of inductors lying around here. I think mine are smaller than that though  ::)

About 15mm diameter x 7mm thickness.

They are 500mH inductors and have flying leads. Was going to try them in a circuit but I just don't have the time right now.

If anyone is interested.... I can send you one for the cost of postage if you want to try one.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Ben N

Does this belong in the Burst Box thread?

Anyway, Joe, don't you know that size doesn't mat... OMG! Would you just look at that thing?

It looks... strangely... female.
  • SUPPORTER

joegagan

i got it from a surplus place. it is 100Mh, around 16 ohm. i use it to raise the impedance of the green dot dunlop. sure, the Mh goes up as well, but i can deal with that.

it is a dearmond 1800 type circuit built for a cali studio guitarist friend. the modded boomer pcb is a zac zagar design ( note how nice it fits on the vox /CB mounting bosses without  needing holes for the treadle bolts). for some reason , normally 30k audio, the dearmond circuit is more forgiving to the 100k pot even without tapering resistors.

youtube demo coming this eve.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

ps. strain relief on both battery leads. required in my book.

edit. this thread is dedicated to weiner and all the other power brokers who are hell bent on showing their goods to young hot girls on twitter. you want slaw with that?

joegagan

mikemaddux

Completed Builds: A lot...

John Lyons

Sounds like it has a nice wide sweet spot/sweep there Joe. Nice!
Not too much on the top end/toe down and not too dark on the heal down.
Widening out the sweep makes a nice range of motion rather than the
Abrupt on/off wah hump we usually hear. Which can be cool but...

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

theundeadelvis

If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

joegagan

thanks guys. i talked to ken, he doesn't like wahs that are too bassy , so tonight  i revoiced it quite a bit higher. the video is deceptive, the low is quite dominant, and gets a little too quiet, most people would think it works too much like a volume pedal. but i agree, this is also what makes it sounds like talking. it is a dilemma.

new videos ( revoiced) using exact same guitar and amp settings for comparison.

John Lyons

It sounds good Joe. A bit subtle and volume like but....
Personally I'd try to get a bit more vocal out of it but then it's
not my pedal.  :D
At any rate, sounds sweet.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

final version. had to tweak it for the intended recipient after he heard the above linked videos.

this video is a comparison of three wahs.

1. vox case on the left , first up in the video is the dearmond 1800 circuit first mentioned/pictured in this thread, after the final tweaks. it is considerably different from the earlier vids

2. ( middle, vox logo)modded thomas crybaby. trubypass and a magic 987 mh inductor

3.( right, std crybaby treadle) original 81 thomas stack of dimes , pure stock except for true bypass.

John Lyons

I like the modded Thomas the best personally.
But the DeArmond sounds good. You got a bit more
quack out of it with the tweaking. Cool.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

thanks for listening john. i agree with you, the most fun one was the modded thomas. you can tell which ones i like better in the vids because i favor them and play them longer.

sometimes, the ones that sound good to me in the room are not as apparently superior on playback, but often my first impressions ring true in the video.

anyone else have any feedback? comments much appreciated.

theundeadelvis

I'd be pretty much happy with any one of them! They each have their own likable characteristics. If you were going to sell someone a wah, and showed up with all three, one of them would have to be exactly what they were looking for.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

azrael

awesome stuff Joe. How do you mean, "a magic 987mH inductor"? Is it magic, and also 987mH, or do you feel a high inductance is important? That's a pretty big difference from most wah inductor values.

joegagan

i recently heard a creepyfingers marshall supawah clone , it had a high Mh inductor, sounded sweet. the magic refers to the special recipe i used to get that value ;)

joegagan