any hot chicks here? i want to show off my huge inductor.

Started by joegagan, June 21, 2011, 04:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egasimus

^ looks great! Why don't you go all the way and add some hidden LED lighting. The Wah from Hell :icon_mrgreen:

joegagan

damn ega, you read my mind. i was up til 11:30 last night cutting the vox letters out of a treadle so the light can shine up from underneath. stay tuned!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

MrTonesNZ

Yea I preferred exhibit 2, interesting about the high inductance. I'm interested in building my first wah, are there any magic numbers or rules with the inductor to make it work and sound ok? I'm on a student budget and want it to be simple as possible

Earthscum

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on August 19, 2011, 10:58:09 PM
Yea I preferred exhibit 2, interesting about the high inductance. I'm interested in building my first wah, are there any magic numbers or rules with the inductor to make it work and sound ok? I'm on a student budget and want it to be simple as possible

Many threads on this board about wah inductors.

One example of that aspect in particular: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=85590.0

I've tried most of the inductors I have, including one monster from a car stereo amp (filter inductor). With the right components, a wah is possible from just about any inductor, within reason. I have a couple 5lbs. monster (110AC in, 2x110AC @(4A?) each, or 2A each for a total of 4. I could probably get them to filter, but I wouldn't want to tote it around... probably require a monster amount of current driving it, too.

That's one thing I noticed... I tried the big filter inductor again a couple weeks ago. I did it first with a darlingtons, first tranny with a 4.7k C/120R E setup, biased to 4.5V, and it worked ok... kinda dark, like I remembered from before. Then I got the bright idea of using a 386. I tinkered and got it working. The current from the 386 definitely made a difference, at least that's what I'm guessing. The first time I tried it was in the nnormal Crybaby values, tweaked to make it work. I think it was even darker sounding then.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

DavenPaget

HUGE ... You don't say  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

DavenPaget

Quote from: joegagan on November 02, 2011, 08:18:05 PM
love it!
Yep , this xfmr was dead , now i removed the secondaries , the primaries remain but it has some sticky goo and the reason why it was shot was because the primary leads were BROKEN . ( thankfully i got this , i think 100VA toroid 2x40V with no VA specification at all , for free . )
Hiatus