Stupid Pot %$^$%^$%& suggestions

Started by iccaros, June 21, 2011, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iccaros

ok here is the issue
I am in the middle of building a high octane http://www.ax84.com/static/hioctane/AX84_Hi-Octane_101004.pdf but using sub mini tubes...
I used a SMPS from http://www.tayloredge.com/storefront/SmartNixie/DataSheets/Datasheet_1363-1364.pdf

no matter, maybe

so I have the pot all the way on (wiper measuring shorted with lug 1 on the pot) I get volume, full of blocking distortion and screeching.. SMPS.. go figure..
When I turn the pot to the wiper to pin 3 and measuring ground on the wiper and 1meg to pin 1, I get clean guitar audio.. WTF.. Should not this kill all volume sending the grid to ground.. I know there is a 220K resistor in the way and a cap, but could that be the reason?

thanks

I fried the SMPS, stupid @#$@#$% not sure why a tube moved and must have shorted something, as the tubes got hot and the Power supply started to smoke..
I am ordering a real supply. and building on turret, used a Radio shack PCB bread board,  But the pot if driving me nuts....

R.G.

It's probably not hooked up the way you think it is. Just guessing.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

iccaros

that is what I hoped, but, I have metered it out several times... the only thing I can guess us that I have way too much gain, and the cap after the pot is reacting to the audio.... its my only

I am pulling the who thing apart and creating a turret board so I can re look at this, just wondering if the cap and voltage divider on the wiper could cause this.

thanks

R.G.

Is your ground all connected together?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

iccaros

ya, Checked again
weird thing, when reading the pot in place it shows 370K but remove from the terminals it reads 1meg, it is a 1 meg A by the way... :)
the picture is large, I have found it better to click load into new tab to see the whole... sorry..

thanks for the help..

here is a bad picture

better picture, hope it helps...

slacker

Is it possible that the signal is finding another way past the pot? Maybe something else is connected wrong, or you don't have enough filtering on B+3 and the signal is leaking through that.

What happens if you disconnect the wiper?