Son of Screamer tweaks !! need your help ....

Started by HOTTUBES, June 23, 2011, 10:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

I'm finding the SoS OD circuit to sound pretty darn good , but it gets a bit muddy unless i have the tone almost all the way up ....
How can i change the MIDs & Highs to stand out more . Or is it the case of having to much bottom end making it loose
sounding ????

In any case its a very good sounding OD , but just needs to be fine tuned .

Any help would be fantastic !!  Thank you !!

Quackzed

r6 abd c4 form a low pass filter at @ 720hz , so you could make c4 smaller say .1 for starters and/or make r6 lower 500ohms or so...
either of these changes will double the rolloff freq to @ 1440hz ,letting more mids and treble pass through...
be advised though, that part of what makes ts type pedals sound the way they do is the filtering of the high end, so too much treble can make them more harsh or edgy rather than the warm middy sound they are known for...for a slight change maybee try a .15 cap, or a 750ohm r6, depending on which you want to change...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Quackzed

oh, also check out R.G. Keen's 'technology of the tube screamer' article at his site, here...
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm
the 1k and .22uf cap i mention changing are at the bottom left of the -Tone and volume control stages- section pic in that article...

HOTTUBES

Thanks for the Help !! 

I will give that a try ...... :icon_cool:

Mark Hammer

I think you should experiment by sticking a 7-10 band EQ ahead and following your pedal.  I don't mean leave them there, or that you need to have two EQ units at all times.  Rather, at this point it would be premature to hazard a guess as to what tweaks you need to tailor the bottoms, mids, and highs you are imagining.  The first step is to identify what those actually are, by boosting or cutting various bands and determining if that one or this one is actually the bit that's missing from the pedal on its own.

Once positively identified, yo can make the needed tweaks and the pedal can produce the desired tone all on its own.

HOTTUBES

That's an interesting idea , i have an EQ pedal , but not two (2) ......

Mark Hammer

Doesn't have to be two at once, just stick the EQ ahead of the SoS, tweak to taste, then stick it after the SoS and tweak to taste again, taking notes of the bumps and dips that produced the nicest tone to your ears.

HOTTUBES

I have been rolling caps & resistors as well as clippers in the SOS circuit , and i'm very happy at the improved tone ( for my personal taste ) It has
tightened it up alot , and sounds great !! :icon_biggrin: :o

Mark , thanks for the EQ pedal tip , i did not use it in this case , i just thought i would try to swap some things around and see how it turned out !!!!
But in the future that idea may come in handy !!    :icon_wink:

Thanks for all who posted here ........

HT  :icon_cool:

Quackzed

just curious, but what changes did you end up making to get it to your liking?

HOTTUBES

D4 - .047
R6 - 430 ohm
R4 - 2.2 K

clippers :

LED + In34A Germ.
LED + 1N4001

JRC4558D op amp

Renegadrian

I used that layout, which follows the original schem, but built a couple with the keeley mods, try it!
you should get a better response on low frequencies and a more defined sound on low gain settings, and a bit more gain on full.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

HOTTUBES

What keeley mods are you talking about ?? 
Say for a Boss SD1 / or a TS9 ....

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!