"Old" Morley wah hum fix

Started by Vaultboy, June 28, 2011, 09:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaultboy

Hi,
New here, hope I posted this in the right forum   :icon_wink:

I've bought an old Morley pro series wah (pwa) from 1999, schematic here:
http://www.morleypedals.com/pwa.pdf

My problem is, that a hum shows up, whenever a switch is flicked on in my apartment, or in any of the neighbouring apartments.
The hum comes even though im using a battery.

I use a pp2+ for my other pedals, and it uses a step-down converter.

I've heard about how inductors can pick up electromagnetic fields and such, but my wah doesn't have any inductors right?
Anyway I've tested the pedal at a distance of over 3 feet away from both the pp2+ and the step-down.

Thanks in advance!
Best regards, Aksel

ps: My soldering and analog electronics experience is pretty basic.

Joe Hart

Do you get hum with the Morley out of the signal path?
-Joe Hart

Vaultboy

Thanks for your reply,
No, I get no hum then.
As for setup with the morley, it's my only pedal going in front of the amp,
rest goes through the effects loop...

Joe Hart

And does the hum happen when the Morley is not on? So, it's in the signal path, but you're not actually using it.
-Joe Hart

Vaultboy

Yes the hum appears both on and off.
The hum disappears if I toggle it off,
So if it's off, and the hum starts,
I have to toggle it on and off again...

theundeadelvis

Just a shot in the dark, but are you running off a power supply or battery?
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

Vaultboy

Thanks for your reply,
The hum appears no matter what power
source I'm using

deadastronaut

220uf...across + - maybe?...another shot in the dark..

but if thats had it, then i could see that it could cause it to hum like f....

just guessing.. ;)

try a new  220uf in there..thats where i'd start... :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Vaultboy

Thanks for the reply  ;)
I'll try with a new cap there, and see where it goes.

This can't be something with grounding? It appears it doesn't have any, or maybe I just haven't found it yet...

wavley

What is the morley's proximity to the pp+?  The transformer may be inducing a hum in the morley.  Try moving the power supply away from the morley and see if the hum changes, although there isn't an inductor it could still be an unshielded input or something.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Vaultboy

Well, I've tried it from about 3 feet away, and it's still humming.
Do you think I should go further?  :)

wavley

Well usually that would be enough, but have you tried moving the pedal and listening for a change in the hum?  It might be that your pedal is sitting right over an AC wire running through your floor.  Sometimes you can't make an induced hum go away completely by moving things, but you can usually diagnose what the offending component by listening for a change in said hum.

Any florescent lamps in your (or neighbor's) room?

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Vaultboy

The hum is pretty stabile, still appears 3 feet away 2 feet over the floor  :icon_confused:

No flourescents in my room, and I highly doubt by neighbours are using any :D I haven't sneaked around in their apartments yet

deadastronaut

ok, try this...

sneak around your neighbours gaff, and eat their food, drink their beer..then take a shower, watch some tv...get really drunk and

abuse any pets...it wont sort your pedal out, but it'll be a great laugh!...and when your in jail you'll have some fond memories....plus you wont need your pedal at all.......problem solved. :icon_mrgreen:

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

wavley

Ok, have you tried taking everything out of your effects loop and unplugging the pp+ to make sure it's not a ground loop with the other pedals/power supply?  The fact that your ac power effects it makes it sound like induced hum, but maybe not.

When you don't have it plugged in, you have one less cable, have you checked that cable to make sure it's not the source of the hum, like a disconnected shield maybe?  Have you checked to make sure all of your grounds are attached in the pedal?

If yes on all those, then up C8 to like 1000 uF and see what it does.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Vaultboy

Just got out of jail, and decided to try something else, nice suggestion anyway deadastronaut  ;)

Disabled the pp2+ and the effects loop, but I still get a hum.
Some cables seem more humming than others, but no matter what cable I use a hum will still appear.

About the grounding, I'm not sure there is any  :icon_confused: maybe you can point it out from the schematic?

Thank you,
Aksel

wavley

Quote from: Vaultboy on June 29, 2011, 03:47:43 PM
Just got out of jail, and decided to try something else, nice suggestion anyway deadastronaut  ;)

Disabled the pp2+ and the effects loop, but I still get a hum.
Some cables seem more humming than others, but no matter what cable I use a hum will still appear.

About the grounding, I'm not sure there is any  :icon_confused: maybe you can point it out from the schematic?

Thank you,
Aksel

Anywhere you see this symbol is a ground...

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

vendettav

some cables are more noisy than others? hmmm
can you try your pedal and amp out in another room?
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

Vaultboy

Thanks again for your replies  :)

Wavley, I can't find any grounding symbols or places labelled gnd/ground, although it does have some nuts going from the chassis to the circuit board,
though it doesn't seem like they have any effect, tried scratching out their connection to the circuit with no changes(don't know wth I'm doing  :icon_cool: )...
The toggleswitch is very noisy whenever I touch it.

Quote from: vendettav on June 30, 2011, 06:16:34 AM
some cables are more noisy than others? hmmm
can you try your pedal and amp out in another room?

It does the trick, no hum,
So I should just move?  :)

deadastronaut

so the hum as gone when you changed cables then?...

buy new leads i guess...nice ones..

btw out of curiosity, have you tried a different guitar in it?...