Univox Super-Fuzz capacitor voltage ratings

Started by trent1542, June 29, 2011, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trent1542

Hi I am new to diystompboxes and new to effects pedal building!
I am writing up a parts list for a Univox Superfuzz (earliest grey model) that I am going to build. But I'm stuck on the capacitors' voltage ratings, I can't find what they are supposed to be rated at. I have the uF ratings for all of them. I've tried looking at pictures to see what they are rated at but they seem to have different ratings, like 6.3v or 16v, or 25v! I know there are twelve 10uF electrolytic capacitors, two 0.001uF ceramic disc capacitors, and two 0.1uF multilayer ceramic capacitors.
If somebody could tell me the voltages for them (and how many of each), or point me in another direction to find out this info that would be amazing!

Thanks! Trent

tiges_ tendres

General rule of thumb with capacitor voltages is:

Go over the voltage of the power supply (9v - 13v depending on power supply) enough to be safe
But not so far as to have caps that are too large to fit in the required space.

I would suggest between 25 and 50 volts sizes as those are two of the most common values for caps.
Try a little tenderness.

Derringer

there are places in the superfuzz circuit where a 6.3v cap would be fine
but it's easier to just say "the most voltage that this effect will ever see when used properly is about 9 volts"
so I would go with a minimum 16V rating on the caps. I think that the majority of electrolytic caps that I use are rated for 50V.
You're not going to hear the difference between a 16V or 50V rated electrolytic cap. You wouldn't want to use something rated for 500V because it would be to big to fit on the board.

here's a schematic so that you can see just how many and what value the caps are
http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/superfuzz1/usf.html

Mark Hammer

Once upon a time the difference in price between, say, a 6.3v and 25v rating amounted to something.  These days, we're talking pennies for something ike an entire Superfuzz.  So go with the higher rating.  Anything 16v or higher is fine.

trent1542

Quote from: Derringer on June 29, 2011, 03:37:10 PM
here's a schematic so that you can see just how many and what value the caps are
http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/superfuzz1/usf.html
yes, that is the schematic that I'm using, but it does not give the voltage ratings for the caps, only the uF

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys, I'm using a 9v battery and I think I'm going to use 50v on all the capacitors.

LucifersTrip

remember, the voltage rating will not change the sound of your effect

the only thing that will (arguably, and if so, very minimal) is the type of cap you use
always think outside the box

trent1542

Quote from: LucifersTrip on June 29, 2011, 06:53:11 PM

the only thing that will (arguably, and if so, very minimal) is the type of cap you use
what brand/make of capacitors would you recommend for a super-fuzz, or just a fuzz in general?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: trent1542 on June 29, 2011, 07:32:33 PM
Quote from: LucifersTrip on June 29, 2011, 06:53:11 PM

what brand/make of capacitors would you recommend for a super-fuzz, or just a fuzz in general?

anything 16v or higher...caps are so cheap it'd be a cool idea for you to just try as many varieties as you can to see if you can actually hear a difference...you most likely won't   

I use anything I have on hand from 1950's ceramic to modern electrolytic

The same goes for transistors...don't be a sucker and believe that the one called for in the schematic or the one hyped by tons of people is the best....just try everything until you like the sound the best. That's all that counts.

trent1542

ok, I have another question, what type of resistors should I use? I know theres quite a few and I think that Carbon Film resistors are the most common, but what would be best for this project that I working on?
Thanks in advance

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: trent1542 on June 30, 2011, 04:21:12 PM
ok, I have another question, what type of resistors should I use? I know theres quite a few and I think that Carbon Film resistors are the most common, but what would be best for this project that I working on?
Thanks in advance
Carbon film or metal film will be just fine.  The difference is in the tolerance of the part.  Carbon film usually have a 5% tolerance meaning that the parts can be 5% above or below the listed value.  Metal films are usually 1% tolerance.  In fuzz pedals, the tolerance doesn't really matter all that much.  People regard metal film resistors as being quieter.

Most people use 1/4 watt size.  But you could also use 1/8 watt size too.  I wouldn't go bigger than 1/4 watt as often the layouts won't accommodate the larger sizes.

Try a little tenderness.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: trent1542 on June 30, 2011, 04:21:12 PM
ok, I have another question, what type of resistors should I use? I know there's quite a few and I think that Carbon Film resistors are the most common, but what would be best for this project that I working on?
Thanks in advance

once again, anything (most use 1/4 and 1/2 watt) that fits on your board. with resistors, it is only important that you get pretty close to the correct value called for...and you will find that when you measure them, many are way off (even 20%) what they are labeled. in many cases, that won't make a difference, but there are certainn spots where you should get very close (ie, for biasing a Fuzz Face or Rangemaster...but you will adjust those, anyway)...it's a good idea to measure em with a dmm  before you use em. I shoot for 10% max.

trent1542

thanks guys, I think I'm set for my project.. for now, if I need help again I will repost here and change the thread subject.
Thanks again!  ;D

LucifersTrip

Quote from: trent1542 on June 30, 2011, 07:54:36 PM
thanks guys, I think I'm set for my project.. for now, if I need help again I will repost here and change the thread subject.
Thanks again!  ;D

good luck!  I should have noted this earlier...if you are new to pedal building like you stated in the first post, I really don't think you should start off with a 6 transistor fuzz!    It might be cool to start with a 1 - 3 transistor distortion or fuzz....problems can snowball with each successive stage....but you should have fun if you have patience.

again, good luck. I hope you pull it off!