input jack problem

Started by Seven64, July 10, 2011, 11:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

so i am using an audio probe, and when it is grounded to the input jack and the probe is at the tip of the input jack it passes sound only when the stomp is in bypass, but when i switch it to engage the effect it doesnt pass sound anymore.  with the audio probe hooked up like this shouldn't it bypass the pedal no matter where the stomp is at?

theundeadelvis

Where's your audio source coming from? That does sound weird. I could see it, if your audio source was plugged into the output jack for some reason.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

Seven64

guitar to input jack, audio probe to amp, audio probe grounded to sleeve of input jack and probe on the tip of input jack.

theundeadelvis

Is it a normal mono jack? Could your switch be grounding the tip when not bypassed?

Seven64

the input jack is a stereo jack, but yea, seems pretty normal.  switchcraft jacks or whatever they are.

theundeadelvis

Any chance you could post a picture of the switch and jack wiring?

theundeadelvis

Is it this build:
If so it looks like you have the switch input wire to the ring and not the sleeve of the jack.

Seven64

actually the same build in my other thread.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92597.0

tip to 3pdt

sleeve to 9v source

ring to pcb

should i wire the pcb to the sleeve instead of the ring?  or switch the sleeve and the ring so the pcb is grounded to the enclosure?  i figured if the cable was in the jack it was all connected anyways, and once the cable was pulled out it would kill the power to the pedal.  it would also keep the jack grounded if there is no power to the pedal..... but just typing that i realized it is already grounded to the enclosure for the mechanical bypass.

**edit**

yea, the leads are out of order, but if you look the middle lead is actually the sleeve, which goes up to the 9v source

theundeadelvis

All of your grounds should go to the sleeve (the middle tab in the picture. The input wire from the switch should go to the tip. You only use the ring if you are "switching" a 9 volt battery to prevent it from draining when a cables not plugged in. If you input from the switch is connected to the ring, you are actually grounding it when you switch the pedal into the on position (not-bypassed).

theundeadelvis

When you say the sleeve goes to the 9 volt source, do you mean the negative (ground) of the 9 volt jack? All of your grounds, the 9 volt jack, and the board ground should go to the sleeve. The only thing that should connect to the ring is the negative lead of a battery snap if you install it. So:
-All your grounds should go to the sleeve (middle lug in the pic)
-3PDT input should go to the Tip (left in pic)
-Battery snap negative lead to the sleeve (if you are using one. right lug)

Seven64

yea, the negative on the 9v plug.  i'm pretty sure its wired correctly.....

the farthest one forward goes around to the part that is still touching the sleeve.......

theundeadelvis

Yeah, that jack is different than the Switchcrafts I have here, so my notes on the picture above are incorrect.

theundeadelvis

If you're trying to troubleshoot the circuit, I would first completely remove the switch. Just take the input from the board and solder it directly to the tip lug of the jack, then do the equivalent for the output. Solder all of your grounds to the sleeve and leave the ring out for now too. Simplify it. This way you can see if there's something wrong with your switch wiring, or the board itself. It could be that your board is sending the signal to ground and that's why you get no output through the audio probe. But to be certain, it's best to remove the switch from the equation.

theundeadelvis

Do you have a multimeter? Can you test for continuity? I would switch the pedal on, then check to see if there's continuity from the tip to the sleeve. If so, you know there's a short somewhere.

Seven64

i read that post, flipped over the vero, and there were 3 spots were 2 tracks were connected with solder.   :icon_redface:

theundeadelvis

So did removing those solder bridges fix it?

Seven64

yea, works like a champ lol.  i was absolutely stumped as to why it didnt work  :icon_frown:

theundeadelvis

Glad to hear you were able to sort it out! Now play it, and enjoy it! Also, if you have the time, you might update the other thread with your resolution. This can help others later on down the road that come across it trying to solve their own problems.

Take care!

runmikeyrun

that's why I don't like vero... i have to inspect every trace with a magnifying glass to make sure there's no bridges.  Glad you got it working.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women