Tone shaping the Son Of Screamer ?

Started by HOTTUBES, July 12, 2011, 06:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

I'm looking for any past links to threads on the Son of Screamer !
I'm looking to remove even more low end , and bring up the mids & highs ! ( I still find it to be muddy )

Thanks for any info !

petemoore

Smaller input capacitor value, smaller staging cap values.
  capacitors introduce increasing impedance as frequency of the input decreases...ie starts cutting some bass and cuts more and more as the frequency drops, blocking the lowest frequencies..DC and some near-DC frequencies, at a certain AC frequency they start to pass signal, depending on the C value.
  Consider a parametric [GEO], notice the cutoff/notches make more vertical-ish frequency shaping lines in a graphic display of frequency/output, a sharper cutoff of X LF's may be it or what...
  A graphic eq for getting a frequency shaping chart of desired/undesired frequencies: nice because the plug in provides a ballpark-display...the graphic shows you ~what frequencies are cut/boosted and by how much, handy because it provides graphic references to figure out where the ballpark eq is more exactly and much more quickly. When the noise bothers, a much simpler [and lower noise] alternative '~mimic-this-eq-setting-circuit' could be pressed into service.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

HOTTUBES

HOTTUBES

So looking at the SOS layout , would C1 be the input cap @ .047 uf ?

theundeadelvis

I'm not good at reading vero, but I think you are correct. The 47nf cap is the input cap. Also, have you considered treble/mid/bass tone stack, so you can fine tune exactly what you want?
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

azrael

try 22n for the input cap. Play with R6 and C4's values to shape it more.

HOTTUBES

Quote from: theundeadelvis on July 13, 2011, 01:39:57 AM
I'm not good at reading vero, but I think you are correct. The 47nf cap is the input cap. Also, have you considered treble/mid/bass tone stack, so you can fine tune exactly what you want?

No , i have never built one ..........does it work well ?

theundeadelvis

Here's a thread I started about inserting a full tone stack into a Tube Screamer. I would bet you could do the same with the SoS. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92569.0
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

Mark Hammer

What sort of tone-shaping are you aiming for?  Is your intent to somehow preserve a TS-tone but have lots of flexibility in on-the-fly tone-sculpting?  Is your intent to "fix" somethng that doesn't work for your rig very well?

HOTTUBES

Its just to bottom end heavy imo , i need less bottom & more mid and more top end ...
Its just very " Creamy " sounding , i know thats not a very good description ......

Thanks for your help !

HOTTUBES

Have we confirmed that C1 is the input cap ,it kinda  makes sense if you look at the layout  !

HOTTUBES

If i lower R4 to 1 K , will that give me more gain ?

HOTTUBES

OK , I changed C1 to .01 UF , and it got better , but it still gets " loose " sounding if i max out the Level ( Vol )

is there anywhere else to tighten this circuit up a bit more ....were getting close !

HOTTUBES

testing , testing 1 2 3  !!   is this mic on .......    :icon_smile:  LOL !

No more love for the SOS ?

azrael

it gets loose because you're amplifying everything a lot! it's not the circuits' fault....Why do you have the volume maxed??

HOTTUBES

I just like how alot of Overdrives sound with the  Vol pot @ max  , but if i back it off , it can sound  good but i still would like more mids .

Thanks for your input !

Quackzed

as mentioned r6 and c4 form a lowpass/high cut filter starting at @720hz... so if you make the cap smaller say .1 the rolloff freq will be @ 1400hz, same for r6 at 1000 if you make it 500ohms (and leave the .22 alone) rolloff will be @1400...
so reducing either the 1k or the .22 will cut less mids and treble, or at least start rolling them off at a higher freq...
you could just clip another 1k in parallel to the existing r6 and see if its any good or too much or whatever...without desoldering stuff...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

HOTTUBES

Quote from: Quackzed on July 16, 2011, 04:27:53 PM
as mentioned r6 and c4 form a lowpass/high cut filter starting at @720hz... so if you make the cap smaller say .1 the rolloff freq will be @ 1400hz, same for r6 at 1000 if you make it 500ohms (and leave the .22 alone) rolloff will be @1400...
so reducing either the 1k or the .22 will cut less mids and treble, or at least start rolling them off at a higher freq...
you could just clip another 1k in parallel to the existing r6 and see if its any good or too much or whatever...without desoldering stuff...

Ok i will try that & see what happens !!

Thanks

HOTTUBES

Quote from: azrael on July 15, 2011, 11:52:00 PM
it gets loose because you're amplifying everything a lot! it's not the circuits' fault....Why do you have the volume maxed??

How does the Volume pot interact here with the tone etc .
By turning the volume pot to max , does that let all the freq.in to be clipped ( Is that what you meant ????)
And is that why it distorts the signal ? Is that kinda how it works ???

Thanks for any input ......

azrael

the volume pot just attenuates the signal.

but if you're complaining about loose bass, i was saying that if you have a circuit amplifying your whole signal, it's going to get mushy because you're amplifying everything a lot. not just mids or treble, but bass get's amplified, too.