Tonepad Fraverb - fv-1 reverb solutions

Started by fleeps, July 15, 2011, 11:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleeps

Thinking of building the Tonepad reverb for my next project.  I gather from the build reports that there some components missing from the list such as a 3.3v regulator and crystal oscillator.  Whilst the build reports have been helpful, I am still a little confused.
If you have built this, what solutions have you used to get it working?

theundeadelvis

I've never built the Tonepad reverb (and the page seems to be down at the moment), but I recommend also checking out projects using the Belton reverb brick. I've heard it sounds great, and the designs I've seen seem pretty simple.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

fleeps

The Belton reverbs I've looked at don't seem to be as versatile as the Tonepad reverb, GGG's reverb for example has just one pot for mix.  I'm also interested in the other fx on the FV-1 chip.

The solution below is appealing because its cheap! Its one of the build reports from Tonepad. 
I'm not 100% sure how to wire this up because i'm still a bit of a noob

QuoteFor a cheap & easy 3.3v (approx) reg:

You can use a green/yellow LED and an LM317. Use the LED to set a voltage reference at the ADJ pin. This will be approx 2v. The LM317 always has 1.25 volts form the Vout to ADJ pin. This totals 3.25v with is close enough.

More info here http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/3pin_reg_notes1.html

And get the LM317 datasheet -- the LED replaces R2 on the typical datasheet circuit. Don' t forget the caps and protection diodes.

If you want more info I can get it + a schematic.

Good Luck.

slacker

The build notes you linked to give some examples of 3.3 volt regulators that will work. I used an LD1117 with the FV1, because that's what I could get hold of locally. What ever regulator you get check the pinout against the layout before you fit it, they aren't all the same.

The crystal is a 32.768kHz watch crystal like these http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Frequency-Control/Crystals/32.768kHz-Cylindrical-watch-crystals/79391 they should be easy to get hold of from any electronics supplier.

The Spin datasheet for the FV1 shows a 100 Ohm resistor connected between pins 23 and 26, the tonepad layout and schematic don't have this. I don't know if this matters, but as people have posted build reports saying it works, I guess it works without this resistor.

fleeps

Thanks for the advice Slacker.  I'll be giving this a go very soon, I already have an FV-1 chip from musikding