Pot Taper mystery??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, July 21, 2011, 01:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

makes sense that the stereo fuzz wah from thomas used the same part as the std wah. i had one once, sold it unrepaired, never dove into it.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Govmnt_Lacky

Let me attempt to dumb this down a bit for us "layman" peeps  ;D

Here is a link to some pot tapers on Sheet 2:

http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PDB24.pdf

There are a LOT of curves for the 3 main pot tapers (Log, Linear, and Rev. Log)

So, which one of these is closest to the taper of your typical Wah pot?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

ayayay!

Quote50% rotation = 102K ohms
75% rotation = 102.5K ohms
100% rotation = 103K ohms

Sorry, I've never seen a 100k pot with only 1k of variance on the last 50% of the travel!  I think you've got a bad pot.  My $.02.   :-\
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: ayayay! on July 25, 2011, 11:03:48 AM
Sorry, I've never seen a 100k pot with only 1k of variance on the last 50% of the travel!  I think you've got a bad pot.  My $.02.   :-\

You have now!  ;D

That is the measurement I took form my working HotPotz 2 100K that I took out of my working wah pedal.

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

joegagan

gvot lacky, you are correct.  yours has the exact same taper as the 50+ thomas and dunlop pots i have measured. 1972 through 06

edit : i shouldn't have used the term 'exact'. there is a range of where the taper starts, sometimes close to the middle sometimes all the way down on the 35 % Cw side of center etc. point is, the actual curve always plots out as the same taper, just starts at different points.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: joegagan on July 25, 2011, 12:44:21 PM
gvot lacky, you are correct.  yours has the exact same taper as the 50+ thomas and dunlop pots i have measured. 1972 through 06

Great Joe! Thanks for the confirmation.

Can you comment on my post above regarding which taper is closest to the Hotzpotz or the ICAR?

joegagan

trying to keep my posts accurate. everything i have said so far is from research. to answer your Q, i would have to go into excel and do an overlay and juggle stuff around to make the ratios jive and still be correct. at this time, i don't have the spare time to do it.

Govmnt_Lacky

I graphed it out.

Odd taper  ???

joegagan

update.
i restored a 74 vox branded thomas stereo fuzz wah. ( never saw one with any other year made, i think they only made them in 74?)

they  indeed did come from factory with two different tapers. the ' regular' side had a regular crybaby pot , the opposite side had same taper but in reverse. made by centralab.
because there is no known modern crybaby condensed log taper in reverse, i used the same taper ( hotpotz2 by dunlop )for both sides. worked and sounded fine to me. the calibration of both pots relative to one another is absolutely critical , however.