Debugging fuzz pedal

Started by andershp, July 22, 2011, 06:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andershp

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 25, 2011, 05:39:11 PM
You definitely have it wired for NEGATIVE ground which is not the way. You need to re-wire as positive ground. If you search here on the forum or on Google you will figure that out.

Also, I could not help but notice that your layout has NO TRACE CUTS  :o That is either a mistake or some excellent layout work!

Okay, so that's the problem - I will wire it for positive ground then, but first check the circuit by itself as LucifersTrip mentions.

Do you think that one of the offboard wirings that I linked to earlier would work, and which? Anyhow I will look around at the forum.

No, the layout has two trace cuts in the second row to the right (picture 3), however they er tiny, but I have tested them.

Quote from: LucifersTrip on July 25, 2011, 08:18:29 PM
Quote from: andershp on July 25, 2011, 03:45:10 PM
No, I created the layout myself. I think your right about the negative / positive wiring.

as I wrote earlier, before you worry about any offboard wiring, the circuit should be tested first

you are just compounding problems and making it more difficult to diagnose if you wire switches, etc before you know that the circuit actually works

order: breadboard > test circuit > solder to board > test circuit > wire offboard > test circuit

I will do that, but I was not really sure of how to easily do that, but since I have connected wires for both DC and input/output I can just use them and test it.

I did test it on breaboard and it worked, so i missed the 4. step.

andershp

Okay I found the problem (I suppose and hope so).

It seems stupid now that I discovered it, but then again this is my first build using any circuit board (I've done a simple feedback looper):

I didn't consider that you have to cut a trace below a component if it is placed on a breadboard connected line, so the component actually is used and there isn't a direct connection right below.

Obvious! So I think I have to rebuild it then.

Thanks anyhow :)