Good old fuzz faces..Help me finish them please!

Started by MrTonesNZ, July 24, 2011, 06:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTonesNZ

Hello! I started my first builds early this year, I made myself two amazing sounding FF's, one germanium and one silion. But i never got around to ironing out the creases and pakaging them properly. I had this weird issue where it sounded great when chained up with another pedal, but crap on its own. I tried many variations with different groundings and what not, but couldn't quite work it out. Anyway I've bought myself a DMM, and i'm dusting off those old circiuts, time to get them finised!

I wan't to see what went wrong. Where do I start with my DMM?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on July 24, 2011, 06:48:06 AM
Hello! I started my first builds early this year, I made myself two amazing sounding FF's, one germanium and one silion. But i never got around to ironing out the creases and pakaging them properly. I had this weird issue where it sounded great when chained up with another pedal, but crap on its own. I tried many variations with different groundings and what not, but couldn't quite work it out. Anyway I've bought myself a DMM, and i'm dusting off those old circiuts, time to get them finised!

with the voltage readings of the transistors' lugs
always think outside the box

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: LucifersTrip on July 24, 2011, 07:13:46 AM

Okey doke. My DMM has a transistor tester bit, should i use that?

Derringer

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on July 24, 2011, 07:42:27 PM
Quote from: LucifersTrip on July 24, 2011, 07:13:46 AM

I wouldn't worry about that ... just report back what the voltages of the transistor lugs are
like this

Q1
c:
b:
e:

Q2
c:
b:
e:

MrTonesNZ

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about that ... just report back what the voltages of the transistor lugs are
like this

Q1
c:
b:
e:

Q2
c:
b:
e:

[/quote]

Cool, should i disconnect them first?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on July 24, 2011, 08:05:37 PM

No.

Use your DMM and measure the voltages at the transistors with the pedal powered up and engaged. Connect the black probe to ground and the red probe should go to each leg of the transistors. Measuring DC voltage of course  ::)

Make sure you look up the datasheet for the transistors you used. This way you will know which leg is the Emitter, Collector, and Base.

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 24, 2011, 08:55:28 PM
Quote from: MrTonesNZ on July 24, 2011, 08:05:37 PM

No.

Use your DMM and measure the voltages at the transistors with the pedal powered up and engaged. Connect the black probe to ground and the red probe should go to each leg of the transistors. Measuring DC voltage of course  ::)

Make sure you look up the datasheet for the transistors you used. This way you will know which leg is the Emitter, Collector, and Base.

Good Luck  ;D
Ok, would this be different for a positive ground one?

boogietone

Yes. Reverse the probes. General convention is the red probe is positive and the black probe is negative.
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

MrTonesNZ

OK, encountered problem no 1. 9v batt measures at 3.5 lol. need a new battery  :icon_redface:

MrTonesNZ

Ok, assuming Ive done this right. I'm getting:

Q1
C- 4.25
B- 3.9
E- 9.08

Q2
C- 4.1
B -3.9
E- 3.95

MrTonesNZ

blooze_man

The Emitter of Q1 should read 0 volts. In other words, it should be connected to ground. I would start looking there. Also, the voltages of Q1 collector and Q2 Base should be the same cause they're connected.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

blooze_man

Maybe it would help if you could describe exactly what you did to measure the voltages. I messed up the first time I tried to use a DMM. A schematic or picture of your PCB would help alot, too.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: blooze_man on July 25, 2011, 01:18:17 AM
The Emitter of Q1 should read 0 volts. In other words, it should be connected to ground. I would start looking there. Also, the voltages of Q1 collector and Q2 Base should be the same cause they're connected.

Ok, but isn't the Q1 emitter the input? Why would you ground the input?

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on July 25, 2011, 01:46:12 AM
Quote from: blooze_man on July 25, 2011, 01:18:17 AM

Ok, but isn't the Q1 emitter the input? Why would you ground the input?

Hang on, thats the base..

MrTonesNZ

Ahahahaha! :P

Had the power in backwards!

Ok new figures

Q1
C: 3.74
B: 0.62
E: 0.00

Q2
C: 3.9
B: 3.74
E: 3.9

LucifersTrip

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on July 25, 2011, 02:15:19 AM
Ahahahaha! :P

Q2
C: 3.9
B: 3.74
E: 3.9

possible wiring or measuring error:
http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/bias_prob.htm

"For linear amplifying, the collector must be more positive than the base; the base must be more positive than the emitter by about 0.4 to 0.7V for silicon, and 0.0 to 0.3 for germanium; the emitter should be the most negative pin."

"For an NPN silicon transistor (these all are) to be working as a linear amplifier, it MUST have its base higher than its emitter by about one silicon diode drop, 0.5 to 0.7V, and the collector must be higher than either base or collector. "

Shoot for close to this (page 5):
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.generalguitargadgets.com%2Fpdf%2Fggg_ff5_instruct.pdf&rct=j&q=silicon%20fuzz%20face%20voltages&ei=NRwtTvHdIorY0QGR_ajkDg&usg=AFQjCNFzLn9xgl1dDZ3mom0I7c0KuqBKRQ&cad=rja
always think outside the box

MrTonesNZ

Well when i compare to general guitar gadgets, the collector of Q1, and therefore the base of Q2, is significantly higher. Am i right in thinking I should try replacing R1 with a trim pot?

MrTonesNZ