red fasel inductor question

Started by pinkjimiphoton, July 25, 2011, 03:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi gang,
just curious about ya'll's thoughts on fasel inductors.

i gotta junk revision f gcb95 crybaby "classic" i'm stripping to build a mouth meister in, and i noticed it has one of the fasel inductors i hear peeps talk about all the time.
it's a red one... about 14.3 r resistance.

now, in my crybaby, it's some grey generic dunlop inductor, i don't have it in front of me, so hard to comment on it...the wah's been tricked out now for years, and i absolutely love the sound... when i first got on the internet, i emailed RG about it, and he helped guide me thru what to do to make it the wah of my wettest dreams.

but i'm curious...i see a lot of speculation on google about these things, but they are often from like 14 year old know it alls it seems like, so i'm putting the question to you guys...

do you think it's worth trying in my wah? do these things really make THAT big of a difference? i've tried hundreds of crybaby wahs over the years, and most of
em kinda suck when stock in my opinion.

just curious what you guys think.

thanks

jimi
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Just got my clunker gcb95 for the Vocalizer project. Tried it out, and it sounds really lame compared to my 535Q (God I love that wah!).

According to the word on the street, the red one is cleaner, with a bit more focus on the high end (think Shaft).

In the end brother, stick it in, and let your ears be the judge.

Cheers,
Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

well, mine sounds like a cross between a baby puking and someone trying to force feed a hot dog to a septuagenarian vegetarian.

i mean...for me....perfect. so i think i'll just throw it in my junk box, i don't  want that "shaft" kinda wah.

thanks for the opinion brother! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

ayayay!

Quotewell, mine sounds like a cross between a baby puking and someone trying to force feed a hot dog to a septuagenarian vegetarian.

That put the hugest smile on my face. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

nascarbean_97

I got a yellow one and the adjustable vocal mod in my gcb95, and I love the two combined.

To me it sounds like puking zombies through a ring mod. Sort of. Not really, but I don't know how else to describe it. And I love that sound.

pinkjimiphoton

puking zombies thru a ringmod.

dude...that is poetic and perfect, lol!!!

hey...what would happen if ya ran inductors in series? or parallel? or ...series/parallel?

i guess i better go re-visit geofex!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

SISKO

--Is there any body out there??--

John Lyons

Waiting on Joe Gagan to show up here...
He's got a "Super Puke Wah"  :D
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

pinkjimiphoton

horribly mixed and old as the crust on satan claws's underwear,

but the wah solo in the middle is my puke wah...

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=84835

played by my brother mark. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

joegagan

wah me, worry?
superpuke is last year's flavor. can't stand that sound any more. do not search superpuke +wah on youtube, no good.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 25, 2011, 10:56:05 PM
horribly mixed and old as the crust on satan claws's underwear,

but the wah solo in the middle is my puke wah...

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=84835

played by my brother mark. ;)

wow this is good, great to listen to. thanks for posting. that wah really does sound excellent.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks joe. that song is nothing but guitar bass and drums...everything else is guitar synth.

but the wah track really cuts it...i asked my brother mark to make that shit talk...i think he nailed it!
:icon_mrgreen:

that's the original puke wah i built (with r.g.'s help) about 2000 or so...he was wicked cool and helped advise me by email how to make it not suck.
;)

i've built about 4 of them for my friends over the years, but still have the original. i wondered if a fasel would make it sound better, but i don't wanna screw it up! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

joegagan

people are probably sick of hearing me say this, i think the fasels are very boring sounding inductors. i think you are fine with whatever you have.

boring is ok, some people want a wha that just has a pleasant rainbow-like sweep without any humps or spikey bits. to me, the spikey bits are what make an inductor wah really special. without the spikes, it might as well be an opamp/twinT filter sweep circ.

a nicely tuned fasel wah reminds me of sonic candy. sweet but with very little sustenance.

pinkjimiphoton

i like the way your mind works, joe.
;)

i've played a lot of wahs, the ones people usually rave about leave me flaccid rather than tumescent. lol...

crooks and nannies is what it's about...take that away from your english muffin, all ya got left is white bread.

i agree. i think i'll leave my wah untouched... thanks bro!

anybody wanna buy a brand new red fasel that just came off a brand new yet broken vintage crybaby?  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on July 26, 2011, 11:08:51 AM
people are probably sick of hearing me say this, i think the fasels are very boring sounding inductors. i think you are fine with whatever you have.

boring is ok, some people want a wha that just has a pleasant rainbow-like sweep without any humps or spikey bits. to me, the spikey bits are what make an inductor wah really special. without the spikes, it might as well be an opamp/twinT filter sweep circ.

a nicely tuned fasel wah reminds me of sonic candy. sweet but with very little sustenance.

Personally, I like the El-Rads in the Maestro Boomerang.

And one of my best sounding wahs has the dreaded TDK5103 in it, which everyone seems to be so quick to say sucks, but it sounds great. In this particular wah anyway. But I also attribute that to all of the parts coming together in a good way where everything lines up to make it a good sounding wah, NOT all to the inductor.

One of my least exciting wahs is a vintage Vox with original Fasel in it. And I don't like how it seems to be on or off with no middle ground. I like middle ground, not quacky.

pinkjimiphoton

i think the tdk is in my wah, too.... sounds great to me. puking pedals is where it's at!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

joegagan

for what it is worth, paul, a really good stack of dimes replica sounds as good to me as the el rad when AB tested in an otherwise 'normal' Bg1 circ. not too surprising that they are within 10% of each other for Mh  AND resistance ( around 35-44 typically).
the tdks are generally 60-70% 18 ohm, with the remainder being 144 ohm (???) the Mh is usually well within spec.

this is what baffles me. is there something more than the actual mh and R that we are hearing? 9 out of 10 tdks just sound blah  to me, one in ten is a revelation like paul's apparently is. but they measure normal(?)

Paul Marossy

I should measure it and see how many mH/ohms it is...