Opamp for SHOD

Started by Mad Al, July 31, 2011, 12:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Al

Hi guys! I've decided to build an overdrive pedal, and the first thought was to build a Tube Screamer, but I don't like the mid hump in it, so somehow I found a vero layout for the MP SHOD overdrive, which I liked a lot when I listened it on YouTube. So, according to the layout I mentioned, I need an OP 275 chip for it. My question is, can I use CA3260 which is a dual mosfet opamp (I was going to build the mosfet BYOC Tube Screamer) instead of the OP 275? Will the SHOD lose the touch sensitivity which is famous for with that chip?

Thanks,
Al

Mark Hammer

What you need is an 8-pin DIP socket.
What you use is dictated by what's in your parts drawer that comes closest.
What you like is something that should be dictated by living with it.
An OP275 is a decent dual op-amp.  So is a CA3260.   And so are plenty of others.  They will all work in the circuit.  How they sound is up to you.  The socket lets you try them all.

Mad Al

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I already have the socket. Thanks for the reply. I have one more question. What is the meaning of those red dots and squares on the vero layout:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=43349&g2_serialNumber=2

I have never built with vero boards, so I'm not familiar with it.

Edit: So, those are cuts. How silly of me  :icon_razz:

Mark Hammer

Those are where you make your cuts.  Vero provides you with a set of continuous traces.  The assumption is that you will divide each of those continuous traces as you see fit so that the things which ought to be connected ARE, and the things which ought not to be connected AREN'T.

I would strongly recommend to anyone working with a vero layout to have a copy of the actual schematic on hand for several reasons:
1) So you can understand how the circuit is supposed to function and what does what,
2) So you can corroborate the layout against the schematic,
3) So you can figure out where you can also put things in case you have components that do not fit the allowed space comfortably (most likely the case with caps).

petemoore

a regular [say 1/4''] drill bit can easily be used to remove all copper trace [and just a teeny bit more...to be sure] across the 'red dot' on the veroboard.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.