building a headphone amplifier and cabinet simulator

Started by lemrey, July 27, 2011, 08:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemrey

I'll be moving abroad as an exchange student and I need a headphone amplifier to play my guitar without getting kicked out of the college dorm :)
I thought a cabinet simulator could help make the sound more pleasant.
so I looked up at some cabinet simulator circuits, namely ROG's Condor and Joe Davidson's Simple Sim.
To my understanding they can't drive headphones directly, so my guess is I will probably need a power amplifier like the Ruby (that right?)
but in  which order should they be connected? Should the cab sim come before or after the power amplifier stage?

Also since I'm building a cab sim, I could use the thing for recording purposes too so I'd like to be able to bypass the power amplifier.
This raises a couple of questions
can I 'shut down' the power amplifier when it's bypassed ( is it recommended to do so? )
how should the circuits be powered ?

Govmnt_Lacky

I built the ROG Ruby amp and I use it to drive a small speaker -OR- I can switch it to drive my headphones.

Try looking here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/13-amps/61-ruby-amp

In the pdf file, there is a layout for wiring to a headphone jack.

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

lemrey

I already built the Ruby circuit and wiring it to a headphone jack seems easy enough :)
but what about using it together with a cab sim? should I put the Ruby before the sim or vice-versa?
how should I power the two circuits?

lemrey

would something like this work ?
here i am assuming the power amplifier should come before the simulator circuit

PRR

> cabinet simulator circuits ... can't drive headphones directly, so my guess is I will probably need a power amplifier like the Ruby ... in  which order should they be connected? Should the cab sim come before or after the power amplifier stage?

As you say, the cab-sim can't drive phones. A power amp can. So working backward:

headphones, poweramp, cab-sim, {buffer?}, guitar.

Or thinking forward: guitar, cab-sim, poweramp, headphones.
  • SUPPORTER

derevaun

There's no shortage of DIY headphone amps that expect the same kind of signal that a mixer's line input expects. You'd need to know the impedance of your headphones to make the best choice, but something like the CMoy or Apheared 47 are a decent baseline for that stage.