Stereo potentiometer as "blend" knob in strat...

Started by Keysershades, July 27, 2011, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keysershades

Hello, any suggestions on how to wire a stereo pot as a blend pot between the dry and wet (boost) signal in my guitar so when the knob is turned down it's dry/bypassed/not-boosted and when turning it up it will boost ?
I have the boost and the stereo pot, but it did not work in parallel yesterday when i had a quick go at it. I'm thinking wiring it sort of like a bypass DPDT switch, but is that even possible ?

Simon

Mark Hammer

Is there a tonal difference between the two signals?

Keysershades

No different that you can hear at least... It's a very neutral and clean boost. What different does it make ?

Simon

Mark Hammer

I asked because if there is only a difference in volume and not tone, why blend at all?  Why not simply stick a volume pot after the preamp?

digi2t

Wouldn't it be wired the same as the Skyripper Buffer pot? Kinda sorta  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

MikeH

I'd think you could do it with a single-gang pot.  I personally would try something like this first:  split the hot signal from the pickup, send one side through the boost to either outer lug on the pot, send the dry signal to the other side.  Lug 2 is the output.  Warning: Depending on the design of the booster the phase of the signal might be reversed by it.  This will make it sound bad, and in the center you'd get no signal at all.  Of course you'll have to play with what value pot works best... also your guitars tone and volume controls would have to figure into the equation there as well.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

joegagan

the skyripper buffer  2gang is wired exactly like a dpdt. and it works like a blend of two signals nicely, in most circumstances. if the two signals are out of phase with each other, ( as in the skyripper due to buffered/unbufferred) - hijinks ensue.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.