Building the Meat Sphere

Started by Taylor, July 27, 2011, 03:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

There is a washer that comes with this type of switch, which has a little nub sticking out of it. The switch body has slots with numbers around the dial. You put the washer's nub into the slot corresponding to the number of throws you need (2 for up/down, 3 for bp/lp/hp, etc...)

lwatford

one more...where does the board ground?

Taylor

The GND pad at the top center of the board. Connect this and all other grounds together at a central point (most people use the input jack's ground tab).

Barcode80

Quote from: lwatford on August 25, 2011, 04:45:25 PM
proably a dumb question, but how do you set the switches for the correct number of positions and throws?
there's a washer with a tab on it, depending on what hole that tab sits in when you mount it will determine the number of throws.

lwatford

Quote from: Taylor on August 25, 2011, 07:33:14 PM
The GND pad at the top center of the board. Connect this and all other grounds together at a central point (most people use the input jack's ground tab).

Thanks! I just put everything together based on the layout in the build document. I had everything else grounded but the board!

thedefog

Quote from: thedefog on August 21, 2011, 09:23:47 PM

EDIT: Is this just my build and I did something wrong, or does the intensity get reversed when it goes between up/down mode? My build seems to be working right, just wasn't expecting that odd behavior from it. Also, the blend seems somewhat useless on mine, as far left is the clean signal, moving towards middle ramps clean volume to nothing (no output), then past that to the far right is the effected output.

Okay, so maybe I was smoking something when I was testing this out, because I brought it to band rehearsal last night and it worked perfectly. Even wrote a new song using it. And it was AWESOME! I love this thing. It is very versitile. I love how squirely the LDRs can be on certain settings and the reaction between your guitar strings and playing method. Other pedal interaction and the effect loop is a must for this. I think this is my new favorite effect pedal now. Thanks again Taylor and Vince_b for your help.

chicago_mike

Hey Taylor, just ordered two of your meatshpere boards and an octave board.

Can't wait to get started!  :D

lwatford

love it! Thanks for the great projects!

Taylor

JohnL

So I ordered my board today and want to make sure that I am ordering the right rotary switches. Would these be the right ones?

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/ALPHA-SR2612F-0304-18R0B-D8-N-ROTARY-SWITCH-3P2-4T-p/820-3p2-4t.htm

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be here often since I also ordered the echobase....

Taylor

soggybag

I just got two boards in the mail today. The quality is great, they look really good. This never happens, but I also received parts today also. It's an auspicious beginning for the new project...

chicago_mike

Taylor! Got the pcb's today. Wow! these are real nice and clean.  :o

thank you thank you thank you!  ;D

Taylor

Glad you guys got your boards and are liking them. Looking forward to seeing more builds.  :)

soggybag

Looks like everyone has designed the graphic to show two positions for Range, but the schematic shows three positions?

Jaicen_solo

This project looks awesome, i'll be picking up some boards on payday. Is there a BOM that I can use to order all the parts together, so I can be sure they'll all fit?
Also, does anybody have a drilling template? I'm not good at sorting the enclosures.

Taylor

Soggybag: I think everybody just copied the Lovetone graphics. To me it looks like there are actually four positions on the original, high, low, and two dotted positions between. That is what everybody is copying.

But, in all the schematics I've seen and mine, and my board, there are only three positions. Hmm...  ??? IME that switch isn't the most useful anyway - it seems a bit redundant with the way the others controls work. But that's just me.

Jaicen: The BOM is in the PDF on the website. Vince B contributed a drill template and it is located within this thread.  :icon_wink:

Jaicen_solo

Thanks Taylor, I guess i'm guilty of not going through all the info before I posted. Just jumped on it a bit in my excitement!

WhenBoredomPeaks

I am about to build my first envelope filter. I want to build iton a pcb. I have access to the pcbs of Dr. Q, Snow White Auto Wah, Mu-Tron MicroQ, MXR Envelope Filter and this.

Which have the deepest/most-resonant/synthiest sound of the bunch? I'd guess this one, that is why i post in this topic but i wanna be sure.

Hankster

FAKE ROTARY SWITCHES ON EBAY! >:(
I got my Meatshere and have been taking it easy on this build. What I want to post about is a rotary switch delima I had with an Ebay seller. Advertised as Alpha and look dead on! But it doesn't have Alpha anywhere on it. It has an H inside of a circle. It has rectangle, or square holes for pins but no pins came with it and when I've been able to get a look inside throught the holes, I don't see any action happening that can be stopped. So I think the holes are useless ??? I'm going to order Alpha switches. They should come with stop-tabs and I can see if they work on these things.
  While I'm here, and on the subject... Are there any brief instructions on the rotary switches and their mounting I should know? Little tips or tricks? I vaguely recall dealing with these plastic, pin setting rotaries before, but not really much other than you can move a pin for different amounts of positions.