potentiometer "W" stand for?

Started by wakeuptone, July 29, 2011, 09:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakeuptone

Any one know potentiometer "W" stand for ?  (audio, linear, reverse) Thank you.

bean

From left to middle it's reverse audio, from middle to right it's audio. So, the middle portion of the taper is linear.

Steve Mavronis

This may help:

If you look at this pot taper comparison graphic below you can see in the bottom left graph when the W taper is at 50% rotation it is at half the total volume range. In the top left graph the A taper has to be at roughly 75% rotation or so to have equal volume output.

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

wakeuptone

Thank you for all answer.  

1) Where I can find "W" Potentiometer.?  or any alternative potentiometer?
2) "M" Potentiometer also anyone know stand for.  Is it same as "W"?

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: wakeuptone on July 29, 2011, 10:04:03 AM
"M" Potentiometer also anyone know stand for.  Is it same as "W"?

No. Look at the graph in my post above.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

wakeuptone

Vince_b

MetalGuy

Actually almost all  EQ's require W-taper pots/slide pots for smooth frequency adjustment otherwise the pot will have narrow sensitivity range at both ends.

runmikeyrun

Every DOD pedal i've ever opened has W pots... always wondered what that meant.  Thanks!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Brymus

Why would anyone use an "M" taper ?
Its hits 100% at 50% rotation,so half the dial is the same setting, full on.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

FiveseveN

Quote from: Brymus on July 30, 2011, 04:41:09 PM

So is the "N" taper, only the other side is "full on", or off. The point is to use them together, just as it says on the box: "For dual unit use".
Why? I'm sure there are applications that require such a strange thing but I haven't encountered one yet.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Paul Marossy

I've never even heard of a "W" taper until now!  :icon_confused:

Hides-His-Eyes

Looks similar to an 's' taper to me, so maybe W stands for "Wah"! ;)

DiscoVlad

Quote from: FiveseveN on July 30, 2011, 11:15:25 PM
Quote from: Brymus on July 30, 2011, 04:41:09 PM

So is the "N" taper, only the other side is "full on", or off. The point is to use them together, just as it says on the box: "For dual unit use".
Why? I'm sure there are applications that require such a strange thing but I haven't encountered one yet.

They (Dual-gang M+N Taper) are used as left/right Balance controls in stereo circuits.

egasimus

^ idk, didn't this application require a dual-ganged log + reverse-log pot?

The image above solved for me the long-standing mystery of what 'D'-taper pots were, though. A shop in my town stocked them, and I never figured out what they were. Pity it's closed down now, there doesn't seem to be any place near me where I can buy audio taper pots anymore.

DiscoVlad

Quote from: egasimus on August 02, 2011, 05:16:12 AM
^ idk, didn't this application require a dual-ganged log + reverse-log pot?

It is dual log/antilog, but only for half the rotation.

The idea of these potentiometers is that in the centre position the output is at maximum, and turning the knob either way attenuates one channel while leaving the other at a constant level.