News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Best Delay

Started by nigel22, August 01, 2011, 02:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel22

Hi all
Thinking about building a nice delay looking for something warm and old school with a delay time up to 600ms or more can some one recommended one or two!
Early floyd gilmourish
Thanks

Hides-His-Eyes

How complicated do you want it to go? 600ms is more than the usual suspects (e.g. Rebote) will get you but I'm sure there are some suitable BBD designs somewhere.

Mark Hammer

One man's "warm" is another man's "dull-sounding".

You CAN get the 600ms you seek from a single 4096-stage BBD, and quite possibly from a single PT2399, but you will need to sacrifice a lot of bandwidth to do that.

A better course of action is to aim for a PT2395-based delay, like this one - http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs44_ddb.html - which will get you around 800msec delay, max.  I've made one of the older Holtek HT8955-based delays that also uses a 41256 DRAM external chip, and gets around 800msec, and it can be coaxed into souding decent with a very usable amount of delay time.  Small Bear carries parts for a 2395-based device.  You can save yourself the cost of a DRAM chip if you poke around through the bin of old video cards sitting in your dad's basement or a nearby  low-end computer store.

Thomeeque

http://yerasov.ru/PDF/DM-5.pdf (two PT2399s in series)

(unfortunately this demo shows only shorter delay time, but it may give you some idea)

I have build loose clone of DM-5 and I may say that DM-5 was designed thoroughly and that it sounds still pretty clean around 600ms. I'll give it another try when I get home today.

Another possibility could be Spin Semi FV-1 based delay.

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

nigel22

Hi
Thanks to all
This one sounds pretty good is there a PCB and a parts list anywhere.

Thomeeque

I have made short demo of my DM-5 inspired delay set at cicra 600ms:

DDD_600ms_demo.mp3 (American Vintage 57 Strat ~ DDD ~ BOSS JS-5 (speaker sim) ~ PC)

It's not 100% clear already, if you listen carefully, you can already hear some quantization noise (e.g. "around" artificial harmonics), but still at acceptable level I'd say. Plus this is relatively extreme setting, normally you would not set echoes that loud and use that long delay time very often..

Btw. If I would design my delay now, I would yet add tape echo emulation sub-circuit from Ibanez DE7 - I have this delay on my pedal board (set to ECHO mode) and I love it!

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Marcos Camara

Follow link in a forum that Brazil has the layouts related to DM-5.

http://www.handmades.com.br/forum/index.php?topic=1396.75

I rode, and found excellent.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Thomeeque on August 04, 2011, 06:36:50 AM
...Ibanez DE7 - I have this delay on my pedal board (set to ECHO mode) and I love it!
+1
As a hardcore analog freak I have to admit this is the one stompbox Digital D'ly I use regularly. The "Echo" mode is simply fantastic. Great value too. ~$60US used; though they can be had for $40-50 if you look around. Built like a tank too!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Thomeeque

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on August 04, 2011, 09:46:09 AM
Quote from: Thomeeque on August 04, 2011, 06:36:50 AM
...Ibanez DE7 - I have this delay on my pedal board (set to ECHO mode) and I love it!
+1
As a hardcore analog freak I have to admit this is the one stompbox Digital D'ly I use regularly. The "Echo" mode is simply fantastic. Great value too. ~$60US used; though they can be had for $40-50 if you look around. Built like a tank too!

Yep, I've got it used for 1000CZK, which is exactly those 60USD :) T.