Jfet, amz boost modify to OD pedal

Started by TimWaldvogel, August 02, 2011, 01:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimWaldvogel

i have only tampered in op amp based circuits and i was thinking about dabbling in transistor overdrives and boosts.

i know when you are using an op amp you can achieve overdrive by placing clipping diodes in the feedback loop of the op amp, where is the feedback loop in a transistor based circuit?

here is the amz mini booster link, http://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm could you show me where i woult place diodes in this type or circuit? or is there something im missing about transistor based circuits?
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

LucifersTrip

I can't  give a technical answer, but I learn from some of the classics:

Os Mutantes:

always think outside the box

TimWaldvogel

These all seem to be fuzz/distortion pedals. Looking for something like a Smooth overdrive. Like a TS but transistor based.
Some nice jfet design or something. I have a few j201s around and wanna work on a nice overdrive pedal

petemoore

Fetzer valve article, a number of biased Jfet Fetzers may have near-cousin circuit fragments appear in...
   Also see the ROG emulator pedals.
    A Jfet to bring the guitar signal up to 'workable' level', a Jfet to distort the boosted guitar signal, more Jfets continuing to add a bit of distortion in each successive Jfet stage. Any voicing and tone controls also show likely ways to wire up an amp emulator or even do a 'schematic scramble'...dump a buncha eggs [Jfets or other] in a bowl, mix and add spice to taste.
   Two or three 'tamed' [ie clipping 'just some', not too hard] stages generally would generally fall into the associated categorical vernacular: 'smooth OD', four or five start leaning toward the nomenclature [distortion]. Pickups, settings and interpretations will vary.
   Also see any 'tube sound fuzz' derivitaves [will show CMOS chip in BOM or schematic].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MikeH

+1 on the Runoffgroove stuff.  They used to have something called the "Odie" which was a Jfet OD.

As pete said, you get overdrive or distortion from Jfets by cascading them, or hitting them with a hard signal.  How hard they get hit determines the amount of breakup.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

rockhorst

Search for the Golden Dragon, by DragonFly. He aslo has a soundclip of it in the layouts gallery. It's basically a minibooster with some different component values. Haven't build it myself yet. I'm planning to do my take on a booster 2.5, which is 2 modded minibooster in series with a tone control (BSIAB evolved from this). No clipping diodes in either of them, but it definitely clips!
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

TimWaldvogel

so whats more the dominate character in these circuits? is it the stage pushing then jfet into overdrive? or the jfet itself? like for instance, if i used a silicon transistor booster circuit like the LBP1 (provided potential component tweaks maybe for input\output caps filters etc) and pushed a basic j201 jfet stage into overdrive. would that work? i know very little about transistors and im slowly reading into it. but i have this idea like the one i described above.c

lbp-1 basically (gain knob being a pot wired between stages to control how much it pushes the jfet stage. but im not sure what the jfet stage would look like. would it be a basic jfet input buffer that it distorted by the gain it is recieving? can someone point me in the right direction, if not a similiar circuit

MikeH

I don't think an LPB pushing a Jfet would sound as good.  I think it's the cumulative effect of multiple jfets that sounds nice.  LPBs are kind of heavy handed and harmonically stale - to my ears anyway.

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on August 02, 2011, 04:52:34 PM
but im not sure what the jfet stage would look like. would it be a basic jfet input buffer that it distorted by the gain it is recieving?  can someone point me in the right direction, if not a similiar circuit

Already have.  Go to runoffgroove and look at the fetzer valve article.  That will show you exactly what a jfet gain stage (not a buffer) should look like.  It will give you all the info you'll need as far as biasing, etc.  Then look at the other jfet designs - you wont find more info and jfet designs anywhere else.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH