tap tempo switch with audio input

Started by engels, August 03, 2011, 07:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engels

???
Hello everyone, I'm thinking about buying BOSS DD-7 which seems to be a very nice delay, but it does not have a function to accept tempo from an external device, like midi in. Only a footswitch socket, and you can use a regular footswitch to tap tempo.

I wanted to make some sort of a device converting input audio signal, for instance - from drummer's metronome - into on-off sort of output which can replace a footswitch. So I will always be in sync with drums and any time I turn the delay on it will already be in the right tempo.

I've found some scheme of BOSS footswitch, but it's basicaly just a simple footswitch, nothing fancy.

I understand I need some sort of relay to transform audio input into "on" and silence into "off", probably with some preamp for the audio input - maybe a schmitt trigger to convert it into square pulse. This thing should be powered by 9V supply of my pedal board.

engels

So first, I've never had any experience with relays before, what type of relay should I look for?
Then, of course, I'd like to hear how would you solve this convertor?

Kearns892

This sounds a lot like a digital endeavor (though a very cool and useful one). If digital is what you have in mind, I would suggest posting this in the digital section of the forum as you may get more hits there.

Sounds a lot like what the TC electronic nova delay and nova repeater do. I would check them out for ideas.

Hides-His-Eyes

If you can guarantee a clean click (from a metronome or decently isolated bass drum mic) you can do this using a lowpass filter, rectifying the signal, sending it into a Schmidt trigger and using that to drive a transistor switch or relay. No digital needed.