transistor and IC equivalent suggestions bc172

Started by newperson, August 05, 2011, 02:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newperson

Hi,
A few questions.
I am looking for an equivalent to a BC 172C transistor.  Any suggestions?
Also is their an easy website to plug in a number and get the information?  I know NTE but they seem to only point to NTE products.

I am also looking for a match for a LM709CN IC.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for any leads,

anchovie

What's the circuit?

I'm sure that in a lot of cases you could just say BC172 = any NPN transistor and LM709 = any 8-pin single op-amp, but that can't be said for certain without knowing the application.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

newperson

It is for an Arp Solina.  I have been looking at the voltages and it seems that the bc172 is higher voltage than normal transistors. 
Normally I try 3904/06 transistors when in doubt.

It also seems for the lm709  14-pin op-amp has a connection to pin 12 where the other op amps don't have a connection to pin 12 from the data sheets that I have read so far.

Do you know any common NPN higher voltage transistors or any 14 pin op-amps I could look up the data sheets for?

Thanks for the reply,

slacker

Quote from: newperson on August 06, 2011, 03:28:58 AM
Normally I try 3904/06 transistors when in doubt.

I'd just use a 2N3904, there aren't any high voltages in the Solina and anyway according to the datasheets I looked the absolute maximum voltages for the 2N3904 are all higher or the same as for the BC172.

It also seems for the lm709  14-pin op-amp has a connection to pin 12 where the other op amps don't have a connection to pin 12 from the data sheets that I have read so far.

The LM709 is a single opamp in a 14 pin package with input and output compensation, most common 14 pin packages are quad opamps so they aren't interchangeable. You can get the LM709 in an 8 pin package, with all the same connections, this might be easier to get hold of, you'd just have to make an adapter or do some leg bending to fit it into the layout.
You might just be able to use another single opamp like a TL071, again with some creative soldering. This doesn't have the compensation pins but it might work fine, it depends whether the compensation pins are being used to do something special in the circuit or whether they are just being used because the LM709 needs them to work properly. 

blackcorvo

you could try a TL070. It's just like the TL071, but has the compensation pins. Bet it'll be easier for you to find it.
She/They as of August 2021

LucifersTrip

Quote from: newperson on August 05, 2011, 02:38:49 AM

I am looking for an equivalent to a BC 172C transistor.  Any suggestions?
Also is their an easy website to plug in a number and get the information?

Thanks for any leads,

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/

search for "bc172c" then scroll down to:

Part    Similar Part    
BC172C    2N5827    
BC172C    BC239
BC172C    KT373V   

though, you can probably easily try any silicon with similar hfe (prob 400-500)

good luck
always think outside the box

caress

for the LM709 also see UA709 or MAA501.
depending on how it's being used a TLxxx may or may not be a direct replacement...