WAH pictures- diy , modded & etc.

Started by joegagan, August 05, 2011, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

^^ nice , neat build. extra points for using the axle tensioner bolts double duty-ing as standoffs for the pcb.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

jimilee

Madbeanpedals Weiner wah II and a moWah from gocb

Focalized

Quote from: joegagan on February 28, 2014, 04:49:57 PM
^^ nice , neat build. extra points for using the axle tensioner bolts double duty-ing as standoffs for the pcb.

Yeah there's a bit of thinking when doing a wah board from scratch. The perf board wah I made a few pages back is just kind of floating. None of the screw holes lined up to a place for a hole on the board. Planning ahead more, I have three more empty wah shells.

joegagan

easyface /wah with multi switch options using the beavis order switcher schematic ( thanks dano)
can do  fuzz into wah;/ wah into fuzz;/wah by itself; or fuzz by itself.
required 4 switches since you still want the standard wah switch to be the universal BP.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Focalized

Not related to my wah fix post.

Same as the last one I posted really just different stripboard, parts and pot. It's one of the Joe Gagan specials from SmallBear. I also have some more of those pots to use.

Thanks Joe for the great pots. I got some of the ones with the black etched plastic on the pot.

This one sounds really good. The inductor is also from SmallBear.

Soundclip! Fender Telesonic through a Tech 21 Trademark 60. Field recorder. Sorry you hear the pedal noise.

https://soundcloud.com/focalized/mc-wah

joegagan

looks very cool , love the green board and tropical fish caps. nice clean build. thanks for the trying and liking the wah pot. appreciate the mention for sure!

believe it or not, i have never done a comparison of cap types in wahs. customers ask me all the time what my opinion is of foil/oil, trop fishies etc, i have to answer "cannot  answer' because i have no personal test to rely on. do trop fish sound different or better?

Focalized

From what most people say I agree caps don't matter much. Depends on what they're doing as in when one is more directly affecting tone frequencies. Some just look cooler. I like old and oversized parts. It's like a digital vs. analog kind of thing. I have lots of old caps and like to mix them up. Use the bigger ones where they will fit. Lots of those old caps will fall apart. I won't buy them anymore unless it's a lot of untested stuff. I know some will be bad. I've gotten some individually that have fallen apart easily.

joegagan

Focalized

Jeeez that looks like flesh almost. How you doing that?

joegagan

Quote from: Focalized on June 02, 2014, 03:27:17 AM
Jeeez that looks like flesh almost. How you doing that?

i disassembled my crybaby in 1989. i put the top part in the rio grande, tied with very good wire. 2o14, pulled it out and VoiLA!

joegagan

grinding, grinding, marked with a stencil, cut ribs with metal blade on grinder, cut more detail into the ribs lines with round tip dremel, sanded the field areas to a consistent 600 grit sanding in one direction only, then shot with various tinted clears + solid red from various directions before top coating with 4 coats of old school lacquer. did ten wahs at one time , this is the first one to get completed, sort of a test of concept before proceeding with the other 9. this one going to a very loyal customer in copenhagen.

Focalized

This is the wah i was working on and had some trouble I was asking about. It unfortunately has a tighter physical sweep than some other enclosures but sounds good.

deadastronaut

nice build man... 8)

love the green colour.. 8) 8) 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Liquitone

Man that's a great looking wah Focalized. Classic, simple, great finishing.
Where you as surprised as me that white rubber mat has a nice ivory color instead of the bleached paper white it appeared to be on the picture at the Mammoth's shop?
A customer asked for the white rubber for his custom vibe and I didn't have trust in that it would look good, but it does.

p.s. should I post Vibe's in Wah enclosures in the Pictures or the Wah thread?

joegagan

the hammer tone looks great , and a cool color combo - bonus brownie ( greenie) points for green perf and wire. awesome build!

Focalized

Thanks guys. I'm a bit Wah crazy right now. It's nice finding so many people selling broken wahs on Ebay. Such an easy fix usually and pretty simple putting on together from scratch. Wah is the best of the guitar effects I think.

Keeb

Here's my wah. Spray painting is a delicate art that I haven't mastered yet... However, I'm posting here to show it off because I'm happy with it but also because I want to thank Joe Gagan who helped me with parts. Kind of to show that they've been put to good use. Also, a huge thank you to Mike (haveyouseenhim) for tracing the fulltone clyde deluxe wah!

Here are pics (I changed from the green TMNT knobs to the aluminium ones after snapping the first picture):

deadastronaut

nice,

did you sand off the original black surface first?..looks like hard stuff to remove.

thinking about modding my standard gcb95..

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Keeb

Quote from: deadastronaut on June 17, 2014, 07:25:37 AM
nice,

did you sand off the original black surface first?..looks like hard stuff to remove.

thinking about modding my standard gcb95..

No, I've read somewhere that it's hard as balls to get off and I figured that it would work as a primer anyway.
Just two (thick, kind of uneven) coats of spray paint.

deadastronaut

Cheers keeb, yeah thought it'd be a pita to get off..