Stompbox harness/wiring question, Where to start?

Started by Gaetano Capuano, August 05, 2011, 09:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaetano Capuano

So I have a populated board, and all my parts to assemble this, my first project. What order should I take first? Mount the pots, LED, jacks etc onto the enclosure and then connect wires to circuit board?

I am a little overwhelmed ATM.

Anyone ?

phector2004

What I do is the following:

1. Set up drill template/figure out how to fit everything in the box
2. Drill enclosure
3. Put parts in to test fit
4. Remove pots/toggle switches from test fit
5. Solder pots/toggle switches to PCB
6. Solder non-PCB components to 3PDT (Jacks, LED, etc)
7. Insert board + pots/switches
8. Solder board in/out to 3PDT
9. Solder DC jack connections to board and 3PDT
10. Tighten everything as hard as you can!
11. Close & hope it works

Also, for offboard wiring, a lot of people here would also recommend making a mock-up out of thin wood or something, just to get everything spaced out correctly before you put it in the enclosure.

R.G.

I personally like this:

It lets you put the parts in place and run wires while not having to hold parts with one finger while manipulating solder with two other fingers and the other hand running the soldering iron. It's simpler than soldering with the thing inside the box. All you have to do is make good guesses about what wire lengths you'll need to put it inside the box.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

I know it is against every known "good" method here BUT, I like to run my wiring and make lengths appropriate so that the board could be folded back IN THE ENCLOSURE for debug.

I see so many builders here that make tiny wire lengths and routing that TRAP the board in the enclosure. What happen if you want to mod or debug? Then you have to desolder all the wiring just to get the board out!  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'