Belton(accutronics) reverb brick version2 or alternatives?

Started by PereatMundus, August 12, 2011, 01:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PereatMundus

Hey

Been through the old belton brick threads but couldnt find a mention about the new module Linky to one of the good threads

So time to DIY a full set of FXloop 1590pedals.
working on Phaser/Delay/Chorus/SonicStomp right now, but what about reverb.

GGG Reverb
Of course there is the GGG reverb kit, not in production anymore, yet the Reverb
Bricks are still avalible aswell as version2 of said brick.
This one is really interesting to me since its just about half the size of the original.

Banzai (European Supplier)

TubesAndMore (US supplier)

Belton/accutronics Site

Anyone got -any- Idea about this thing? Pinout etc seem to differ, yet should be the same thing on the insides?
GGG Belton Based reverb
D-VERB Build Instructions
D-VERB Bill of Materials
D-VERB Schematic
D-VERB Parts Layout

I suppose If the pinouts can be traced shouldnt take much more work?
Just straight of copy the parts etc from the GGGproject on a perfboard with a TO-92 type 5V regulator
( KA78L05 ) and go from there?

From what I can tell the Belton/Accutronics modules is  patented recepie including 3xPT2399 Chips.
And the bricks thats pretty much used in all reverb stomp boxes theese days.

BYOC Reverb
Also there is the BYOC reverb based on the old Belton Brick
link to project PDF
Link to BOYC Reverb site
More complicated yet interesting layout more control. Is this prefferable to the GGG version?
Guess this could be harnessed with the new smaller brick too?
Perhaps a custom layout can bring it down in size, some.

FV-1 Reverb
Also seen a couple recomendations of FV-1 based DSP board from OCT distribution
Linky but double the price and more troublesome since I cant find any layout (buffers etc) to go along with it.
Anything that ads to the workload is no good to me since Im constantly bogged down with loads of
projects needing to get done.

Although.

Is the FV-1 reverb really that much better then the belton/accutronics one? might warrent the extra cash, though need to find  some input/output buffer PCB layout etc? any hints?

So is this really that much better?
not really interested in beeing able to have both delay and reverb etc, cause got seperate boxes for seperate effects and like it that way.

Looks somewhat complicated thou, here's the OCT module on a board for guitar:

And the Chip by itself on a board for guitar
Guitars: Westone Prestige 150 - Aria Pro II CS-400BnG
Amps: 5150 - SloClone
Fx: 20+ DIY (100+)
Play: Kraut/Death/Industrial/Noise
Pereat Mundus Et Furia Tempo-Leena Krohn/Schopenhauer

PRR

> working on Phaser/Delay/Chorus/SonicStomp right now, but what about reverb.
> FV-1 Reverb ... double the price and more troublesome since I cant find any layout (buffers etc) to go along with it. Anything that ads to the workload is no good

The BYOC, and several others, are fixed-decay reverbs. Think of a room. The recirculation is like replacing carpet with concrete, but the ear still hears the same size room, just more of it.

The SPIN can change time, room-size, and extreme room-types. Room, Hall, Cathedral, Plate, Echo, Ping-Pong

The SPIN also offers phase and phlange and chorus (though not in the same stock module).

The buffering is trivial. In FX loop, maybe none. From guitar, any simple unity gain hi-Z buffer.

> double the price

Personally, $14-$28 seems incredibly cheap for pretty decent reverb.
  • SUPPORTER

PereatMundus

Quote from: PRRThe BYOC, and several others, are fixed-decay reverbs. Think of a room. The recirculation is like replacing carpet with concrete, but the ear still hears the same size room, just more of it.
The SPIN can change time, room-size, and extreme room-types. Room, Hall, Cathedral, Plate, Echo, Ping-Pong
The SPIN also offers phase and phlange and chorus (though not in the same stock module).
The buffering is trivial. In FX loop, maybe none. From guitar, any simple unity gain hi-Z buffer.

Thanks for your reply and insights!
:)

So I reccon then that the GGG and BYOC in your opinion and actual fact are severly limited Reverbs?
It does indeed seem somewhat troublesome with Fixed-Decay Reverb.

Already populated PCBs for PT2399 chorus(little angel), delay(rebote2.5) and a phaser(mxr45) [boxing them this weekend]
So really only looking for a very good reverb in a box(tiny if possible).

The Spin Semiconductor FV-1
http://www.spinsemi.com/Products/datasheets/spn1001/FV-1.pdf

http://www.oct-distribution.com/
Mono reverb and delay module program set R01: <this is the preffered choice then?

So I suppose an FV-1 board  + input output buffer and your set?
*FV-1 OCT
*unity gain hi-Z buffer. *OP-amp set preffered?

I have done a few buffers etc before and some heavily modded circuits, not really started with a chip and built from that before thou.

Any and all hints etc that you can toss me would be greatly appriciated! :)

thanks again!

Only been building pedals for about 8months, done 16 so far.
last batch of pedals:

PereatMundus

PereatMundus

Damned this started more questions then it solved.

So from what I can tell the route to go would be.

using that while looking at:

FraVerb on Tonepad
But perhaps using

Panner for wet-Dry
or Mixer circuit for that like in this Post

Also wondering how to use the OCT board with a rotary switch like
is avalible in a Link on This page

Taking My questions to the FV-1 threads
wondering if This is where to ask
Old one but quite on-topic
the oct-distribution Rep on the forums seems to be very good about answering questions.

Doing something like:

slacker

Quote from: PereatMundus on August 13, 2011, 08:57:14 AM
So from what I can tell the route to go would be.

If you want to go with one of those pre built modules, this data sheet from the same page SKRM-C8-R02.pdf shows a buffering and mixing schematic to go with them. That's probably the simplest way to get an FV-1 reverb pedal, it costs more than the Belton brick solutions, but you get a lot more for your money.

The other FV-1 based method would be to buy just the FV-1 chip and use something, like the Fraverb or make your own PCB adding input and output buffers. I've built a pedal using the FV-1 on veroboard, which I'll be sharing soon, or there's a PCB project in progress on this forum at the moment.
If you do this then you get the inbuilt effects, which include 2 reverbs, if you wanted to make a dedicated reverb pedal you would have to write your own code or use existing examples.

the oct-distribution Rep on the forums seems to be very good about answering questions.

Yeah, Frank is very helpful, you could try the Spin forums for any questions or the digital section on this forum

http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/

Doing something like:

The hardware to do something like this would be pretty simple, no more complicated than a PT2399 delay. The skill would be in writing the programs.

PereatMundus

Quote from: slacker
If you want to go with one of those pre built modules, this data sheet from the same page SKRM-C8-R02.pdf shows a buffering and mixing schematic to go with them. That's probably the simplest way to get an FV-1 reverb pedal, it costs more than the Belton brick solutions, but you get a lot more for your money.

The other FV-1 based method would be to buy just the FV-1 chip and use something, like the Fraverb or make your own PCB adding input and output buffers. I've built a pedal using the FV-1 on veroboard, which I'll be sharing soon, or there's a PCB project in progress on this forum at the moment.
If you do this then you get the inbuilt effects, which include 2 reverbs, if you wanted to make a dedicated reverb pedal you would have to write your own code or use existing examples.

Yeah, Frank is very helpful, you could try the Spin forums for any questions or the digital section on this forum

http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/

The hardware to do something like this would be pretty simple, no more complicated than a PT2399 delay. The skill would be in writing the programs.

BTW: that image of a stompbox is not mine just something I found while looking for finished FV-1 based preojects

Thanks a lot for your insights!!

I was just about to bump the old OCTfrank thread with some questions. :)
Although he hasnt been on the forum since July 7th so might take some time to get answers, yet im sure there is enough helpful people here to go around :)

Since Im in some sort of intermediate level when it comes to Pedal hacking. Going with the board from
OCT feels like the right thing to do.
Doing the stock SKRM-C8-R02.pdf layout like you suggested.
And yea having built 3 PT2399 based pedals it'd be nice to try something different.

Dedicated Reverb pedal was indeed my aim.
The Two Reverb modules is looking quite tasty indeed, and disregarding the extra
Delay features I need to do some serious listening to the examples to decide what
I like best.
[Already having a Rebote 2.5 and an EchoBase I don't "really" need more delay]

I suppose bumping the old OCT module thread with some minor questions couldnt hurt,
I feel its the correct place to ask anyway.

here FV-1 Based Module

Thanks again!
/Off to try and sum up the questions in that thread

The Modules
Module-R02                  Module-R01
Room Reverb              Reverb 1
Hall Reverb                Reverb 2
Cathedral Reverb       Plate 1
Gated Reverb             Plate 2
Plate Reverb               Reverse Reverb
Delay+Reverb            Spring Reverb
Delay                          Echo