Sourcing Mojo Fuzz Face Componets

Started by Strange, August 14, 2011, 01:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strange

Can anyone help me source mojo fuzz face parts? I would actually prefer to have modern high-quality parts that look mojo as opposed to trying to find NOS - with the exception of the resistors. I might have a little fun here and source a few tropical caps and carbon comp resistors after I have them biased on my test rig.

I have tried to search Mouser, etc for the caps but I am a visual person. In other words, I am not confident in ordering parts by part number only without confirmation that they are actually size and colour appropriate.

Obviously, I am looking for all of the common values in the larger axial blue/blue and yellow varieties:

2.2 uf
22 uf
0.01 uf

If I could find them from the same vendor it would be a bonus. any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Strange

Awesome. I tried a search last night as I remembered reading something like this before but the search feature was unavilable.

Thanks!

Strange

Are there any available in 5%-10% tolerences? The links provided are all 20% - or will that even make a huge difference?

Strange

$20 shipping from Mouser!?!

Anyone else have a few leads?

drj

If you are just making 1 fuzz face, you could buy a "Mojo" kit from Pigeon FX, you get a vintage layout pcb, and all the components except the germanium transistors

http://www.pigeonfx.com/kits.html

I think this site is run by Peps1 who is a member here.

Strange

Yes, I have looked at Pigeon's kits - very nice - but I already have my PCB.

I guess I will just have to place an order that is worth the $20 shipping. I just dislike ordering from Mouser as their stock list is insanely huge. Small Bear's site is so nice for the DIYer.

smallbearelec

Please drop me an e-msj at smallbearelec@ix.netcom.com.

If you see something in the Mouser catalog that that you want to buy, it is entirely possible that other people also want/need it. Before I got into ordering directly from overseas, I built a lot of my early Stock List by buying things from Mouser in bulk and selling retail. I still get some bits and pieces from them when it works economically. For example, we are happy to be able to send Xicon transformers and other bits to international customers who would otherwise be faced with crushing shipping costs and Customs brokerage fees.

But I am not clairvoyant, and I can't know nearly everything I need to carry without feedback from customers like yerself.

To be sure, I have to be satisfied that something that I add to the Stock List will (eventually) sell enough to pay its freight. Also, it can sometimes take awhile to but something in there if I choose to order factory-direct rather than buying from distribution. But I hope that the growth in the breadth of our offerings has made it clear that we are Always listening for ideas about what to stock.

Regards
SD

peps1

Quote from: Strange on August 14, 2011, 02:04:01 PM
Yes, I have looked at Pigeon's kits - very nice - but I already have my PCB.

I guess I will just have to place an order that is worth the $20 shipping. I just dislike ordering from Mouser as their stock list is insanely huge. Small Bear's site is so nice for the DIYer.

if you wanted just the components form the fuzz face kit, less the PCB thats no problem....just give me a email info@pigeonfx.com 

amptramp

If you have room inside the case for larger capacitors, try Dave Cantelon at this place:

http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html

He is a member of the London Vintage Radio Club and I have obtained a few capacitors from him.  They offer the greater reliability of high voltage ratings (meaning thicker plastic film internally) and they are still not overly large.