1590B Ge Tone Bender MKII PCB W/ On Board Pots, Bias Trims & MAX1044

Started by Scruffie, August 19, 2011, 07:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Here's one for you B Tremblay  ;)

PCB Layout for a Germanium Tone Bender MkII utilising the MAX1044 to run this in a standard negative ground rig and on board pots.

Power Filtering included, Polarity Protection, Onboard Bias Trims for Both Q2 & 3s collector, Q2 seems to work best to me as the overall 'sound' bias and Q3 smooths things out to how you want.

Output Cap spaced for Mylar or Box Style, plenty of space allowed for Germanium transistors to lie flat... one slight mistake on the Silk Screen, Output should be A100k not 500k.

Unverified

PCB Measures 54.61 x 50.80, Should easily fit a 1590B with Battery.

B Tremblay

Quote from: Scruffie on August 19, 2011, 07:49:42 AM
Here's one for you B Tremblay  ;)

Sweet!  Thanks.  Now I just need to rope someone into etching for me...
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Mustachio

Scruffie! Sorry for reanimating this old thread. I was wanting to make a TBMKII and found this layout and decided to give it a try!

The gif was a lil compressed or something and the text you put on was barely there in the test print I made. And the traces where a lil thin/light . So I just thickened and darkened the traces in photoshop. I didn't change the layout or anything.

I would like to verify this works! And works amazingly! aww yeah my first tone bender build and I'm in love!(so far my favorite fuzz)

If anyone brings this into photoshop to print , copy the image and create a new project at 200dpi with the size 54.61 x 50.80 that scruffie posted.

If anyone wants I can share the darkened pcb image and the drill template I made for it for a B size box (it fits perfect)

Just wanted to say thanks and verify. I noticed you posted it around a few places and no one verified it yet , figured  you might like to know. :D

I know this is old but if tremblay never got one etched let me know I can probably make another :D
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Scruffie

Quote from: Mustachio on July 02, 2012, 04:08:24 PM
Scruffie! Sorry for reanimating this old thread. I was wanting to make a TBMKII and found this layout and decided to give it a try!

The gif was a lil compressed or something and the text you put on was barely there in the test print I made. And the traces where a lil thin/light . So I just thickened and darkened the traces in photoshop. I didn't change the layout or anything.

I would like to verify this works! And works amazingly! aww yeah my first tone bender build and I'm in love!(so far my favorite fuzz)

If anyone brings this into photoshop to print , copy the image and create a new project at 200dpi with the size 54.61 x 50.80 that scruffie posted.

If anyone wants I can share the darkened pcb image and the drill template I made for it for a B size box (it fits perfect)

Just wanted to say thanks and verify. I noticed you posted it around a few places and no one verified it yet , figured  you might like to know. :D

I know this is old but if tremblay never got one etched let me know I can probably make another :D

Hey! no worries man, glad to see someone got some use out of it  :)

Ahh yes, the gifs, I did have PDFs on request but these were the best I could do without constant e-mail and as you found, they can be used.

Glad you're enjoying it! Cheers for the verification, can't remember if I ever did this one my self so thanks again.

JustinFun

Quote from: Mustachio on July 02, 2012, 04:08:24 PM

If anyone wants I can share the darkened pcb image and the drill template I made for it for a B size box

Please do!

Mustachio

I'll post the drill template later today here's the pcb art.

I wanna thank Scruffie again for making this. This is all his layout I barely anything so big thanks to the Scruffster!

Hope you don't mind I added the smiley Ive been adding it to all my new etches you can easily remove it in any photo editing program.

Remember to open this at 200dpi  If your in photoshop just right click and copy this image start a new project from clipboard and change dpi to 200 it should workout well there then when you go to print on an 8.5x11 start a new project at 8.5x11 200dpi and paste this image into it. even though that was dead on for me maybe give it a test print and match up the pins on the IC before you etch it . Good luck and enjoy :D

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Ummagumma

hey guys, does anyone have schematics for this one, it's kind of a hard to debug without schematics, don't you think. (especially the charge pump part)
tnx

Scruffie

Quote from: Ummagumma on October 02, 2012, 03:35:55 PM
hey guys, does anyone have schematics for this one, it's kind of a hard to debug without schematics, don't you think. (especially the charge pump part)
tnx
Tone Bender MkII Schematic... with Charge Pump Schematic connected.

They're both stock other than the Q2 & 3 collector trimmers replacing resistors, you can find the charge pump schematic on Geofex and the Tonebender on Tonepad.

Below the 10nF is Q3, below the 100k Q2, below 100nF, Q1. Voltage is coming in from the charge pump through that jumper.