Fuzz Factory pot orientation

Started by stoopkid, August 20, 2011, 04:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoopkid

I just put together my own Fuzz Factory on a breadboard and I'm getting ready to attempt to squeeze it into this aluminum case I got that may be too small. But before I get started I wanted to make sure all the potentiometers are orientated properly so that the settings you find online match mine. The problem is that if I just try to test it and it doesn't sound right, how will I know which pot is backwards? Is there somewhere that describes precisely what each knob does and sounds like and what constitutes as high/low so that I can try to figure it out pot by pot?

Thanks

taang

vol will sound louder all the way up (duh)
gate will kill noise
comp with make the sound very splatty (and also kill lots of noise)
drive will increase intensity of the fuzz
stab will sound tighter dimed, and may oscillated as it's turned back, depending on other knob settings

there are schematics made with eagle that have an arrow indicating the clockwise direction of pots

stoopkid

would you by any chance be able to point me toward that schematic, I cant seem to find it on here or google.... And I'm pretty much a noob so I dont want to do it by ear and mess it up : /

Or by any chance does anyone have a fuzz factory who can do a quick demo for me? Thats asking a lot though, i know....

LucifersTrip

Quote from: stoopkid on August 21, 2011, 02:49:20 AM
would you by any chance be able to point me toward that schematic, I cant seem to find it on here or google.... And I'm pretty much a noob so I dont want to do it by ear and mess it up : /

you can usually figure it out pretty easily by the schematic (if it is consistent), just by looking at the volume pot. If you look at a volume pot from the top, the far right lug will be ground...so you can figure out the other ones from that.  For instance, the right lug of gate goes to ground and the right lug of stab goes to the 10K, etc...

Or by any chance does anyone have a fuzz factory who can do a quick demo for me? Thats asking a lot though, i know....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Search&resnum=0&oi=spell&search_query=fuzz+factory+demo&spell=1&suggested_categories=10&sa=X
always think outside the box

stoopkid

Actually thats the exact schematic I am using and I made sure they all matched so that if one was backwards they all would have been. I suspected the Drive and Stab were opposite of the others though so I reversed them, then I used this video and found that it was perfect. So the Drive and Stab on that schematic are backwards...

taang

it really shouldn't matter too much as the pot orientation isn't essential to the sound. the mysterious ZVEX609 transistors, on the other hand...

stoopkid

I know but i figure its worth the trouble to have all those settings lists work for me

EATyourGuitar

The badbean schematic has all the lugs numbered.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

taang

Quote from: stoopkid on August 21, 2011, 04:18:13 AM
I know but i figure its worth the trouble to have all those settings lists work for me
again, if you want the setting lists to work for you, you should really be worrying about the transistors

EATyourGuitar

I was just playing with my 7 knob fuzz factory today after I fixed it. some of the settings are just so hard to find. it will be different for each build. even on the real zvex units.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF