transistor question

Started by petey twofinger, August 20, 2011, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

i am messing with a bazz fuss and an lpb-1 . i picked up  nte versions of the trannys cause i live close to frys electronics .

i have 2 mpsa 13 , and 2 2n5088 , they sound different , the 2n5088 seems to bloom a little at the end .

i am curious what is the difference between mpsa13 and mpsa18 . also i had the bazz fuss with the 2n5088's a,nd the lpb-1 with mpsa13 , would i get more bloom or what would happen if i went with a nother 2n5088 in the lpb-1 ?
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

LucifersTrip

Quote from: petey twofinger on August 20, 2011, 06:29:46 PM

i am curious what is the difference between mpsa13 and mpsa18 .

the 13 is a darlington with higher gain

also i had the bazz fuss with the 2n5088's a,nd the lpb-1 with mpsa13 , would i get more bloom or what would happen if i went with a nother 2n5088 in the lpb-1 ?

it's too easy to just try yourself...and only your ears can decide which is best
always think outside the box

petey twofinger

im going to , just threw it out there like a goof .

thanks man .

brett

Hi
with wildly different transistors, you might want to mess with the collector resistor, as it is in partnership with the transistor's characteristics.
e.g. IIRC I liked an Rc of 10k with an MPSA13 (Darlington), and lower values with regular BJTs.
Let us know of your discoveries.
cheers 
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petey twofinger

it seems the order of transistors doesnt make much difference . when i used the germanium diodes on the first and last stage then a pair of si the bloom was most pronounced . i tried so many combos , but the best was this , gus smally boost , darlington/ge diode , darlington pair of large 5401 si , 2n5088 ge diode , lpb-1 , out .

now its too much gain , i have to throttle a lot down over the pots , so i need to rework this into a lil smaller , more practical circuit . its for guitar so i am using much smaller caps . also i have yet to try using trim pots to bias the trannies , so thats next . get em running at the right volts then see if i can get rid of some stage , and still have it sound good , with a nice release .