Orange Squeezer Interaction with Boss DS-1

Started by pb3000, August 22, 2011, 07:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb3000

I am finding some weird behavior with my diy orange squeezer clone.  It sits on a breadboard currently, until I finish tweaking the circuit.

Initially after building it, I just threw it in front of a small chain of pedals, but then later when adjusting the trimpot I isolated it.

that's when I noticed virtually no change between bypassed and engaged.

So I put my Boss DS-1 after it, and all of a sudden there is a difference between bypassed and engaged - like a bit of a treble boost and the compression.

Is this something to do with the non-true bypass of the DS-1?  It is a noticeable and consistent difference with or without the DS-1 in the chain.  And strange that when hooked up alone I cannot detect a sonic difference (I mean like the percussive sound of the compressed guitar and the other subtle sonic changes you hear in a compressor.  I can detect some slight compression - in that if I setup the amp settings to get just a tiny bit of breakup when bypassed, the engaged, compressed signal does not break up.  Make sense?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thank you.

oskar

You are not providing enough information. Voltages and links to the project pages your using and schematics.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Quote from: pb3000 on August 22, 2011, 07:12:29 PM
So I put my Boss DS-1 after it, and all of a sudden there is a difference between bypassed and engaged - like a bit of a treble boost and the compression.

Is this something to do with the non-true bypass of the DS-1?
Maybe the DS-1 loads down the signal less than the other boxes and also has gain.
Make yourself an audioprobe and try and follow the signal through the circuit.

pb3000

Solved.  It's the buffer in the DS-1.  Something about the buffer in front of the OS turns it from awful mud to very nice.  A clean boost pedal does the same.

Anyone else have this issue with this circuit?  A simple fix, for sure, but to me an effect circuit should not need a buffer in front to work right.

Cliff Schecht

Something sounds off. I've got an OS on my pedalboard and just built another two from old PCB's I had around and none of them get muddy by themselves. I'd say quite the opposite, they add a nice high end chime and a lot of body to the sound when engaged. What op amp are you using?

scuzzphut