2 Knob effects

Started by rockhorst, August 29, 2011, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockhorst

I ordered some 125B enclosures drilled for two knobs, but then I noticed that there aren't that many fx with 2 knobs ::)

Of course, I could drill 1 or 2 extra holes in them, but it got me thinking. So far I've come up with:
MXR Dist + (don't like it really)
Orange Squeezer with 2 knobs (rarely see anybody do this...there must be a reason for that)
Mini Booster with gain control (useful, but I've built to many mini boosters already)
Little Angel Chorus (top of my list)
Madbean Rump Roast (second on my list)

Other suggestions? (besides ODs with internal tone control)
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

CynicalMan

Many compressors can be made with Compression and Volume controls.
Many choruses, phasers, and tremolos can be made with Speed and Depth controls.
Many fuzzes, distortions, and overdrives can be made with Distortion and Volume controls.

I'd choose an effect first, and then figure out how to do it with two knobs.

nexekho

Bit of a random idea, but if you used a microcontroller, you could mount the pot with a bit of travel (using that tab on the front to keep it straight) and a button below so you could have one knob that does everything, pressing it in to change what it does.
I made the transistor angry.

mth5044

Fuzz Face and quite a number of other fuzzes.

Scruffie

Small Clone Chorus W/ Depth Mod
CE-2 Chorus
Bad Stone Phaser (it will fit in a 125B according to one builder)
Ross/ Dynacomp Compressor
Hollis Flat Line Compressor
Guyatone FL-3 Flanger
Fuzz Face
Tone Bender Mk1&2
Maestro FZ-1
Mosrite Fuzzrite
DOD 250
Catalinbread Hyperpak
Way Huge Red Llama
Boss Slow Gear
EA Tremolo
Hollis Easy Vibe

Philippe

You could always just mount an additional, non-functioning potentiometer & knob to the extra hole...to give a one-knob effect a more complex appearance. ;)
Something along the lines of a 'placebo control' to really baffle those who are blown away by your signature tone.

tubelectron

And you can use only one knob, the other one being for a jewel pilot...
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

rockhorst

Quote from: Philippe on August 30, 2011, 04:03:49 PM
You could always just mount an additional, non-functioning potentiometer & knob to the extra hole...to give a one-knob effect a more complex appearance. ;)
Something along the lines of a 'placebo control' to really baffle those who are blown away by your signature tone.

Haha, I would sure put 'placebo' on the decal for the knob as well! Could actually a great USP :P
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

nexekho

That's a really cool idea... shame potentiometers and knobs are typically the most expensive parts of my current builds :p
I made the transistor angry.

artifus

Quote from: rockhorst on August 30, 2011, 05:45:48 PM
Quote from: Philippe on August 30, 2011, 04:03:49 PM

Haha, I would sure put 'placebo' on the decal for the knob as well! Could actually a great USP :P

label it 'talent' and make sure it goes up to eleven.

Earthscum

label it 'talent' and make sure it goes up to eleven.

aaah... Hinting at an AutoTune circuit Lol
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

LucifersTrip

remember, you can also make many 3 knob pedals and just fix one of the 3 to your favorite spot. I've done this many times with "attack", "fuzz", etc...

...and of course, you can also make a 1 knob pedal and add 1 mod

bottom line, 2 knob effects = ∞
always think outside the box

Renegadrian

my "I WOULD" list
DOD 250, but you don't like mxr dist+, so...
little angel
fuzz face
tube reamer (TS without buffers and tone control)
Valvecaster (I always omit the useless tone control)
Gold Mate (my FET ckt based on the first tube of a jcm800)
chopped OC2
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

SPAZ

Don't forget the very popular THOR from run off groove.  :icon_exclaim:

Scruffie

Quote from: SPAZ on August 31, 2011, 03:57:14 PM
         Don't forget the very popular THOR from run off groove.  :icon_exclaim:
I didn't, but 2 switches  :icon_wink:

allesz

First I would go for a tremolo EA or a tinytrem (they are on top of my diy dreamlist).

Second the dod 250 is something everibody should have, expecially if you use a tube amp.

Third is a tube sound fuzz - red lama - hyperpak - fuzzv8 - cmos 4049ube thing (actually this thing is n. 2 on my diy wish list: a good and long session on the breadboard with this IC).

Last you can build a ehx small stone, by simply putting the switch in place of a pot. I imagine this being a though project, personally I would be scared.

Have fun