Improvising a plastic PCB shield for Boss pedal: Easy repair

Started by Henry89789, August 31, 2011, 05:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry89789

I bought  a Boss BF-2 Flanger that didn't work for $10.00. The guy told me there was no red LED. Got it home, removed the cover plate and found that the plastic shield that goes between the plate and the board had been removed. Plugged it in and powered it up with the plate removed and got a red LED and flanger sounds! I improvised a shield from some plastic packaging and that was it.  Just a little disappointed. I was expecting a bigger challenge. But I'll take it!

Has anyone had to improvise one of those shields for a Boss pedal?   How did you do it?

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Henry89789 on August 31, 2011, 05:47:41 PM

I bought  a Boss BF-2 Flanger that didn't work for $10.00. The guy told me there was no red LED. Got it home, removed the cover plate and found that the plastic shield that goes between the plate and the board had been removed. Plugged it in and powered it up with the plate removed and got a red LED and flanger sounds! I improvised a shield from some plastic packaging and that was it.  Just a little disappointed. I was expecting a bigger challenge. But I'll take it!

Has anyone had to improvise one of those shields for a Boss pedal?   How did you do it?
Cut up a soda bottle. 
Try a little tenderness.

runmikeyrun

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Tony Forestiere

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

arawn

"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

Enzo

All those things.  Cardboard, plastic from any packaging, etc. Or stick some self-adhesive foam tape on the metal cover. The circuit runs on 9 volts, it isn;t like there is a problem with the insulation breaking down.

I get these credit card offers in the mail all the time.  I started saving the little fake credit cards from those.  They are just perfect for various little spacing and insulating tasks.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

blooze_man

Some plastic sheets I found that were similar to the boss material.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

Henry89789

Thanks for the replies on this. The plastic packaging I used was perfect. I was even able to put permanent bends in it like the original .  Other good suggestions:  epoxy coat; foam tape;

Paul Marossy

Ha ha, nice score!

I would also probably just use a manila folder. It's plenty good for the job.

joegagan

road vibration may cut holes through manila folder mat'l in an over the road touring situation. vibration abrasion is a bitch. , just ask the 453 pairs of glasses i threw away.

a lot of the components sticking thru those boss and IBZ boards are very sharp, like little needles
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Mark Hammer

One of the perks of being part of this forum is that eventually, one comes to think of pedals like the one you bought as simply "not being allowed to work", rather than broken.  :icon_lol:

Joe's right about the risk of puncture.  One of the things I use to keep the clipped-lead side of the board from making unwanted contact with the chassis is this stuff that is often called "fun foam" at craft stores.  It comes in 12" x 12" sheets, much like felt, and is just the right thickness - not too thick, not too thin - and is easily trimmed to shape with scissors.

Earthscum

^^ What Mark said ^^

I love that stuff... It's absolutely cheap, and actually holds well to pedals and is durable enough that I've been using it as skid pad material. My ONLY gripe is that on carpet, I can't kick my pedal back into place if I catch a cord on it, lol... I've used it actually ON the bottom of the PCB, which helps keep it making contact, and if cut right, helps keep it centered.

Another thing that it's great for is building up the loose area at the front of your stompbox (between the posts) to keep your battery snug between the switch and case. I'll throw a pad on each side the battery comes in contact with. Snug fit, no rattles. Percieved value!  :icon_lol:
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum