Solder on PCB

Started by pjohns0, August 31, 2011, 10:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjohns0

Hello.  First time pedal builder and poster on this forum.  Thanks for the wealth of wisdom for newbies like me to learn from.
I may have a small problem on my hands.
I'm building the GGG ITS8 pedal and accidentally got solder between to pads on the PCB.  I'm wondering if I should be worried about the solder between the pads, and if so, how do I get the solder off?
I've tried desoldering braid, wet paper towel, dry paper towel, even heating it up and blowing on it.  I just can't figure out how to get the solder between the pads totally off.
Any help?  See photos below...

theundeadelvis

Well, first look at the layout or schem and be sure there's not a trace there, because if there is, there's no need to worry about it. If there definitely isn't a trace there, usually desoldering braid should work. Worst case scenario, take an exacto knife (or similar) and cut it.

*Edit* Definitely try the solder braid first though (or again), make sure you get it good and hot. On something like that I lay the braid flat over the solder, then set my iron on it and let it heat up nice and hot. I'll sometimes use the side of the iron tip to get more surface area on it.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

R.G.

Wooden toothpick. Position with point at solder bridge. Melt solder. When solder goes good an liquid, scribe a line between the pads with the toothpick touching the PCB between the two pads.

Do be sure that there is not a copper trace connecting the pads you're worried about, though.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

chi_boy

If you look at the layout, it looks like those pads are connected.  Unless I am mistaken, those pads look like the connection between R18 and C8.

If it is R18 and C8, solder it up and go play.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Perrow

Looking at the PCB transfer, I say that they're connected and thus you need not worry.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

markeebee

Like Perrow and ChiBoy say, they're supposed to be joined so it's not a problem.

There don't appear to be component legs soldered to those pads in your picture, so I'm a bit confused how you've got C8 and R18.  Have you only soldered one leg of each at the moment? 

pjohns0

Thanks so much, folks.  I really appreciate the help.

Markeebee:  I temporarily unsoldered one leg of both the cap and resistor that goes in the two holes trying to clean up the solder between the two pads.
Thanks to your and others' help, I now know I can resolder them and not worry about the solder connecting between the two.

Again, thanks for the help!  I think I'm becoming a pedal building addict along with the rest of you. ;)