Simple tube-based circuits suggestions?

Started by DC9V, September 02, 2011, 07:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC9V

Hi,

I've just found a very nice metal box in a junk shop that I think would make a perfect enclosure for a tube stompbox. The thing is I don't know many tube-based projects... 

I'm looking for something that:
- is pretty simple
- doesn't run at high voltage or require a fancy power supply
- doesn't use submini tubes as they are hard to find in my area
- is not a preamp or an amp.

I guess that narrows things down a bit... I've read about the Valvecaster and the Vibracaster and I definitely want to build the latter, but maybe some other circuits would be more suitable for a first build? From what I've seen the Tube Driver is too complex for me. The Bass Amuser looks nice, but information about it is hard to come by and the German-only instructions are putting me off.

Any suggestions?

nexekho

I'd say use eBay for tubes, I built a Valvecaster today using a (supposedly, I wouldn't know a fake, looks real to me and sounds just unbelievable through a wah) USA made Phillips 12ua7 I got for £6 + £3 delivered next day.  Stick with people who frequently sell tubes, they know how to package them.
I made the transistor angry.

mrmoo1337

You could try Merlin's Spark Gap, a tube based fuzz.  It uses twin diode tubes that should be pretty stinkin cheap. 

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89363.0

iccaros

Quote from: DC9V on September 02, 2011, 07:48:56 PM
is not a preamp or an amp
Any suggestions?

then what is it?
a pedal is a preamp.. as it is before the power amp?

DC9V

Quote from: mrmoo1337 on September 02, 2011, 08:07:57 PMYou could try Merlin's Spark Gap, a tube based fuzz. It uses twin diode tubes that should be pretty stinkin cheap.

Thanks, I had completely missed this one. Looks very interesting too, and sounds nice. Definitely something to consider.

Quote from: iccaros on September 02, 2011, 09:49:33 PM
is not a preamp or an amp
Any suggestions?

then what is it?

Mmmm, I don't know... an anal-retentive answer prompting device maybe? :icon_razz: :icon_biggrin:

CynicalMan

I don't know if this would fall under simple, but:
http://www.thetonegod.com/tech/bullitt/bullitt.html

You could probably remove the first and third tube stages in the audio chain, along with the tonestack.

DC9V

The Bullitt looks great! I've always wanted to make a retro-ish tube trem, hence the choice of the Vibracaster, but this one looks even more full of surf rock mojo , and I wouldn't get rid of the Fendery tonestack for a big clock. Thanks a lot for the heads-up! :)

It is indeed a bit too complex for me though... No layout and very little information available means that with my current level I'd just end up pestering the forum 10 times a day for help... So I'll wait until I have at least another tube project under my belt (the Spark Gap, or maybe a twin/triplecaster).

Here's the box I mentioned earlier, next to a B and BB size enclosures for scale:

It is, in fact, a toilet paper dispenser. Its width makes it perfect for housing the 7 knobs of the Bullitt, while the slot is big enough for 2 tubes to stick out, maybe with a semicylindric grille on top like on the Black Finger. Looks suitably vintage too :icon_cool:.

iccaros

Mmmm, I don't know... an anal-retentive answer prompting device maybe? :icon_razz: :icon_biggrin:

Possible, working on it