Pedal + Oscilloscope

Started by Seven64, September 03, 2011, 04:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

So I made a signal tester a while back and just got the idea to plug a guitar into a pedal, an output cable from the pedal into the signal tester, and the signal tester to my oscilloscope leads.  I get the guitars signal when the pedal is in bypass, but with the pedal engaged it does not pass a signal to the oscilloscope.  why?

fwiw i go guitar --> pedal -->  practice amp in -->headphone out to oscilloscope

Seven64

too many beers.  i had the pedal plugged in backwards  ::)

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Seven64 on September 03, 2011, 04:48:22 AM

Debugging complete!  Congrats.  :)

Cardboard Tube Samurai

darron

Quote from: Seven64 on September 03, 2011, 04:48:22 AM

i've done that SO many times... after the third time i still didn't learn obviously....

i bet you had the pedal upside down when you plugged it in too, looking at the guts.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

DDD

To avoid such a trouble next time mark the input jack with BIG RED DOT, and out jack with "NO BEER HERE!" mark.   ;D
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

runmikeyrun

That is funny... glad you didn't go through the trouble of posting voltages!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

pinkjimiphoton

time to celebrate with another beer!!! ;)

i did the same kinda thing once (at least)

i'm working on my crybaby, seeing if i could mod it into a volume pedal as well as a wah... (don't bother, ya get a lame tone pedal at best)...

so i go to try the pedal, and all i get is oscillation!!! i go thru and do every troubleshooting thing i can think of, same result...sucker just wouldn't work.

had a gig coming in less than 48 hours, and panicking, i hit evil bay and bought a replacement board...cost me 40 bucks roughly.

just after i clicked to pay the guy...i realized...  i had the darn thing plugged in backwards.

:icon_eek: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_redface:

adventures in diy!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Seven64

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 06, 2011, 08:53:45 PM

i'm working on my crybaby, seeing if i could mod it into a volume pedal as well as a wah... (don't bother, ya get a lame tone pedal at best)...

so i go to try the pedal, and all i get is oscillation!!! i go thru and do every troubleshooting thing i can think of, same result...sucker just wouldn't work.

had a gig coming in less than 48 hours, and panicking, i hit evil bay and bought a replacement board...cost me 40 bucks roughly.

just after i clicked to pay the guy...i realized...  i had the darn thing plugged in backwards.

adventures in diy!! ;)

i accidently made one into a switchable wah/volume pedal.  im pretty sure it was an effective volume pedal too.  i can check back how i did it if you want, i think i have pics somewhere

pinkjimiphoton

sure, i'm a sucker for punishment!
would love to see what/how you did it. i tried lifting the ground of the 4u cap as folks suggest, but all it really did was kill the wah and leave a tone control. it was cool, but not cool enough to be useful. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 06, 2011, 08:53:45 PM

adventures in diy!! ;)

According to a David Gilmour interview in G.P. a while ago, that's how he got the strange seagull screeching type noises on Echos. His tech had plugged his wah in backwards.

Cost you 40 bux, he made millions. Some guys have ALL the luck!
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Seven64

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 08, 2011, 09:34:00 AM
sure, i'm a sucker for punishment!
would love to see what/how you did it. i tried lifting the ground of the 4u cap as folks suggest, but all it really did was kill the wah and leave a tone control. it was cool, but not cool enough to be useful. ;)

oh, im pretty sure thats what i did.  didnt notice the tone-ness of it cause i was too busy being confused why it wasnt wah-ing

pinkjimiphoton

yah, if ya lift the ground from that cap, you're essentially left with a broken active tone control. it has some effect over volume, but really just kinda sweeps the tone from kinda muddy to kinda middy. waste of time, for sure. i know there's a proper way to do it, but not with a stock crybaby circuit.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr