Speaker Noise ?

Started by petemoore, September 05, 2011, 11:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Wierd...an analog of electronicized crickets sound
 When the 2watt or 18watt amps are plugged into the 2 speaker cabinet, noise goes from the speakers through the Tele or LP [HB's] pickups, creating a staticey buzz noise which is kinda nasty.
 Source [through either good cable]>straight into the amps, but only with this 4ohm speaker load, either of the guitars volume pots control the buzz-crickets sound getting into the pickups [adjusting the SC or HB 'antennas' controls the bad buzz the same way it does the typical PU noise]  
 Simple parallel wiring of two 8ohm speakers to = 4ohm load: Alnico Blue 12'' and Legend 10'', [both +'s common, both -'s common, the noise is the same with either amp, vanished with a different speaker cabinet.
 Never heard of such an issue, a speaker continuity re-do would seems to be in order even though the solder and wiring looked perfectly done and seems to provide fine continuity [makes a 9v battery or either amp sound loud like effecient speakers would].
  I'm wondering if theres' some multi-coil relationships creating the cricketting noises.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

Cricket-y noises? Vanishes when changing speakers?

Two things.
(1) speakers make the amplifier go marginally stable, and you're hearing the amp protesting.
(2) speakers have very much better frequency response than the others, and the crickety noises are always there, but with these speakers you can hear them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

Unconfirmed yet 'fixed' for now, the laptop power supply was in the same outlet, removing that [or something else did it, time/testing will tell] SMPS 'seems to have restored the system to low noise operation.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

Clearly a case of demonic possession in the wall socket!

:icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

runmikeyrun

had that at our old jam spot... guitarist's JCM 800 would pass pops and snaps through the speakers at idle.  I thought he had tubes arcing or something wrong with his filter caps, but whenever we played out it would be fine.  Switched him to my power strip off a different outlet and it was fine.  Funny thing was, someone else ended up using that outlet with a 5150 later with absolutely no issues!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Pigyboy

Hey Pete,
I get the same thing from my apple laptop being plugged in in the same room as my tools and gear.  If my laptop is plugged in it creates a live ground loop and I actually get little shocks from wires hanging off a breadboard when I have it connected to an amp and the amp is turned off.  Strangest thing and discovered it went away when I unplug the computer.  I can also stand with bare feet on my tile floor and run my hand over the metal computer case and feel the 'hum' and a slight shocking sensation.  I thought it was just another fault of the Spanish electrical grid  :)
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: R.G. on September 05, 2011, 12:21:41 PM
Clearly a case of demonic possession in the wall socket!

:icon_lol:

the power of christ compels you! the power of christ compels you!!

lol

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr